Is being snobbish common in the world of homebrewing?

General brewing topics, annoucements, etc

Is being snobbish common in the world of homebrewing?

Postby Hairy » 25 Mar 2009, 11:20

Many homebrewers started out for the fun of making their own beer and as time passes, we understand more and more of the simple drink. I think wine snobs are extremely common. I am glad to say that the beer equivalent has not been so prevalent.

When i read forums on homebrewing, many homebrewers, after brewing many batches of beer, start to feel that commercial beer is not for them. Now, what sort of bothers me is that many of these brewers are showing signs of what I call a "beer snob". Terms like "marcobrewery shit" , "commercial crap"...etc starts to fly around.

I mean, commercial brewers have a different agenda from us and the fact that they can make it so big means they have some merits of their own. Some of us may not like their products so much but it doesn't take the credit from them. These people are also brewers, albeit on a very big scale. These snoobish behaviour is sort of bothering me because wine snobs bother me a lot and i don't really like to associate the word "snob" with the item "beer".
Hairy

Re: Is being snobbish common in the world of homebrewing?

Postby Hunty » 25 Mar 2009, 16:41

I mean, commercial brewers have a different agenda from us and the fact that they can make it so big means they have some merits of their own. Some of us may not like their products so much but it doesn't take the credit from them. These people are also brewers, albeit on a very big scale. These snoobish behaviour is sort of bothering me because wine snobs bother me a lot and i don't really like to associate the word "snob" with the item "beer".

LOL

dont mistake pride in one's craft for snobbishness Harry :D

relax and have a homebrew ..!
The Power of Positive Drinking
Hunty

Postby Hairy » 26 Mar 2009, 10:54

All homebrewers should be proud of their craft, no doubt abt that. But there should be a line between being proud and putting others down. We homebrewers put time and effort into producing the goods but so do their brewers. Being on a similar frequency, one would really expect more understanding rather than needless goading.
Hairy

Postby southernoise » 26 Mar 2009, 13:10

Don't let one or two person stop you from enjoying your hobbies!

Snobs if any are prevalent in any kind of hobby.

Photography, you have the Nikon snobs and the Canon white lens snobs and then you have the Leica camera fondlers amongst the I only use toy cameras snobs cos the make real analogue film photos.
Cycling, you have the weight weenies, Titanium is the best, carbon is the best, my bike is gabazillion dollars more than yours, fully specced downhill bikes with full body amour in flat Singapore...
Music. Oh you know the music snobs. They don't make music like they used to anymore! :lol:
Guitars, my guitar is betterer than your guitar, the rest are just toys.

blah blah.

The list goes on. Life is too short to let things like this bother you. Relax, have a homebrew.

That said, my beer on a good day is better than store bought shit but there are plenty of craftbrews that beats the shit out of my beer. :mrgreen:
On Tap:
Coming up: Uruk-hai IPA
Fond Memories:
American Pale Ale, tweaked from Jamil's Brewing Classic Styles page 134
Dirty Water Brown, tweaked from Jamil's Brewing Classic Styles page 141
southernoise

Postby supermarc » 21 Apr 2009, 02:36

All said... it does get a little disconcerting when newbies with only a handful of brews under their belts (at best) start spouting nonsense like "Tiger piss".... ...

Not all beers are created equal but that doesn't mean that we have to take it upon ourselves to discriminate! :mrgreen:

Peace
Please don't mind me, I am trying my best to learn; Everyone has to start somewhere.
========================================================================
Save 40% Energy; Increase 50% Brightness --- In under 1 minute !!
www.SAVEITEASY.com.sg
supermarc

Postby Hunty » 29 Dec 2009, 08:08

Not all beers are created equal

love this thread

I think George Orwell would be pleased with this one:

"All beers are equal. Except some beers are more equal than others".

:lol:

true ?
The Power of Positive Drinking
Hunty

Return to General