Water In Singapore

General brewing topics, annoucements, etc

Re: Water In Singapore

Postby craigev » 05 Oct 2010, 15:16

Sorry to drag this one up yet again. But Iv been revisiting my water chemistry and re-reading this thread.

It seems like the final conclusion (based on the nomograph analysis) was something like - no need to do anything to your mash for pale ales and only add acidity (via acid or calcium salts) if your doing something like a light lager ?

So, the old theory of whacking in some gypsum into the mash for pale ales is wrong for the sing water chemistry documented in this thread - otherwise you would end up too acidic due to the calcium acidification from the gypsum ? Instead add gypsum to kettle for sulphate kick if you want some(?)

And this leads me to ask if any treatment need be done to the sparge water. If sing water is so soft then the buffering power of the mash is enough to keep the ph down to reasonable levels ? and if batch sparging (as I am doing) even less worry ?

Correct or not guys ? its been a while since any of you have gone at this - any updates?
craigev

Re: Water In Singapore

Postby craigev » 07 Oct 2010, 15:24

No takers ?

well I also posed the question on the BN Forum and got a answer of no - we dont need to acidify the sparge water since our water is so soft.

http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/forum/ ... 44#p219544

Of course this all depends on if the numbers i posted were correct - I took them from numbers derived from the to-ings and fro-ings from this thread in our ibrew forum which were based on some variable comms with PUB it seems. Im also not sure what the impact of this 'NewWater" may have on the numbers.
craigev

Previous

Return to General