Green Tea Beer as requested by a friend

Don't need a question to start a thread here. The weather is hot, it would be nice to know when the next brew is coming.

Green Tea Beer as requested by a friend

Postby Hairy » 31 Mar 2009, 13:49

A friend insisted that i try my hands on a green tea flavored beer. Wasn't very keen at first but since he offer to sponsor part of the cost, i don't mind doing it. (I am such a cheapskate LOL.)

Here goes the recipe:

3 x 75 g of green tea bags. Steeped with 3 x 2L of hot water at abt 80 degrees.
2 x 1.5kg Amber LME
1 x 1kg Light DME
1 Oz Tettnanger 60 min boil
0.5 Oz Tettnanger 40min boil
0.5 Oz Cascade 15min boil

Yeast: Urquell

A sip of the unfermented beer reveals some notes of green tea but i don't know if the taste will survive after the fermentation. Remains to be seen. Raymond advised that I should have put less DME. I put 1kg in anyway and the OG was like 1.060 at 22L. I added another 2L of water but didn't measure the gravity thereafter. Should be fine I guess.

I juz finished this batch last night and it is already fermenting fast this morning. Seems like the yeast is very active. Great stuff.
Hairy

Re: Green Tea Beer as requested by a friend

Postby avp » 31 Mar 2009, 16:18

Tried this once last year - albeit on a smaller scale (10 Liters).
From my experience, you should be using a lot more green tea bags and definitely a lot less hops.
If I ever get the urge to go that way again, I intend to use the extract from wheat grass instead of green tea.
Let us know how this one turns out.
Cheers
I prefer a bottle in front of me to a frontal lobotomy.
avp

Re: Green Tea Beer as requested by a friend

Postby Hairy » 09 Apr 2009, 10:55

The beer turns out as expected, not green tea-ly enuff. it still taste like a normal lager though with a bit of green tea bitterness after taste. Going to bottle in these 2 days.
Hairy

Return to Who's got what in their fermenter?