Revised Founders Breakfast Stout

Don't need a question to start a thread here. The weather is hot, it would be nice to know when the next brew is coming.

Revised Founders Breakfast Stout

Postby Ethan » 08 Jul 2009, 11:42

Just brewed this last week ( 1st July 2009), made a few changes to the original recipes in BYO as I do not have all the ingredients. So without further ado, here goes, if anyone is interested or has any comments :)

My Breakfast Stout - Extract + grains, partial volume boiling.

OG: 1.070
Volume: 5 Gallons

20 litres Carrfour's Mineral Water
3 litres of Ice Mountain Mineral Water (for topping up as I underestimated the amount of water I will use)
6.6 lbs. (3.0 kg) Cooper's Light Malt Extract
1.7 lbs. (0.77 kg) light dry extract
22 oz. (0.62 kg) Quaker's Instant oats
1.0 lb. (0.45 kg) chocolate malt (350 °L)
12 oz. (0.34 kg) roast barley malt (450 °L)
7.0 oz. (0.19 kg) crystal malt (120 °L)
2.0 oz. (57 g) ground Sumatran coffee
2.0 oz. (57 g) ground Kona coffee (for Secondary)
2.5 oz. (71 g) Hersey's Coacoa Powder
1.5 oz. (43 g) Hersey's unsweetened chocolate baking nibs
14.3 AAU Columbus pellet hops (60 min.)
2.5 AAU Willamette pellet hops (30 min.)
2.5 AAU Willamette pellet hops (0 min.)
1⁄2 tsp. yeast nutrient (last 15 minutes)
1 whirlfloc tablet
2 Packet of rehydrated Safale US-05

Step by Step (from BYO)
Steep the crushed grain in 2 gallons (7.6 L) of water at 155 ºF (68 ºC) for 30 minutes. Remove grains from the wort and rinse with 2 quarts (1.8 L) of hot water. Add the liquid and dried malt extracts and bring to a boil. Add the hops and Irish moss as per the schedule. Add the Sumatran coffee and two chocolate varieties at the end of the boil. Add the wort to 2 gallons (7.6 L) of cold water in a sanitized fermenter and top off with cold water up to 5 gallons (19 L). Cool the wort to 75 ºF (24 ºC). Pitch the yeast and aerate the wort heavily. Allow the beer to cool to 68 ºF (20 ºC). Hold at that temperature until fermentation is complete. Transfer to a carboy, avoiding any splashing. Add the Kona coffee and condition for one week, then bottle or keg. Carbonate and age for two weeks.

It's still fermenting in the Primary.Will update you all, on how it will turn out
Regards
Ethan
Ethan

Re: Revised Founders Breakfast Stout

Postby Ethan » 10 Jul 2009, 16:06

Just rack the Stout from Primary to Secondary last night and added Kona cofffee powder to it( it better be good, as the kona coffee is just way too expensive), Gravity taken last night was 1.020. I noticed there is a huge amount of yeast sediments at the bottom, wonder if there will still be enough yeast to last til priming.

Regards
Ethan
Ethan

Postby spud » 24 Aug 2009, 22:15

Hi Ethan
Your recipe has my attention, results turned out how ?
Spud
Brewing, well awaiting to be - Newcastle Nut, American Pale
Keg - Scottish 80/-, Eda's Milk Stout
Next in line - Choc /Hazelnut Porter, Dry Knickers Stout then, Classic American Pils, Kolsch.
spud

Postby Ethan » 27 Aug 2009, 11:46

Hi Spud,

I am already drinking it..hahaha..so far it's pretty ok, got a few friends to try it (who usually won't go near any stout) and they love it, my only gripe is I screwed up on the priming sugar (DME did not dissolved completely, as I was too excited and drunk during bottling...hehe), so carbonation is a bit weak.

I don't really have a trained nose but as far I can tell, it has a roasty coffee aroma, and a hint of vinous quality like dark fruits which I really like. I have plan to leave at least 2 bottles for prolong aging and see they will turn out. Overall, I am happy with it:)

I will still make it again, as I really like the taste of it, a really good one for the rainy seasons.
Spud, If you are around my office area, I can pass you a bottle to try ;)

Regards
Ethan
Ethan

Postby spud » 28 Aug 2009, 07:51

Hi Ethan
Thanks for the offer of a taster, sadly I'm at the Airport.
But maybe U could save a bottle and come along to the next exchange / gathering that is being organised.
Doing man's work when feeling like Superman ( Little drunk) always causes problems but as long as U drink your Brew there's no problem. :wink:
I would like to try my hand at your recipe ( AG converted)as well. have a pretty tall "to do list" at prsent but I have tagged it for future reference.
So pls feel free to hop on over to the posts re Beer Exchange.
Cheers spud.
Next in line - Choc /Hazelnut Porter, Dry Knickers Stout then, Classic American Pils, Kolsch.
spud

Postby Ethan » 28 Aug 2009, 10:11

Hi Spud,

Oh yeah, will do my best to jump in at the Beer Exchange, at this point in time work is just killing me...lol....would love to see how your AG version turn out. I have not yet attempted AG, still at extract as I am still pretty apprehensive about going AG (as well as lack of space and also approval from SWMBO)..heheh

Regards
Ethan
Ethan

Postby spud » 30 Aug 2009, 15:08

SWMBO
Yep we all have our own crosses to bear :wink:
Wont be doing an AG version just yet but as soon as I can I will.

Exchange will be a gathering of Brewers all kinds for a swap and taste etc.

Good luck with your progress in Brewing...
We have all been there, having started with tyhe basics, sadly some of us should maybe have stayed there as well LOL
Cheers spud
spud

Return to Who's got what in their fermenter?