Oops i got the wrong malt

Don't need a question to start a thread here. The weather is hot, it would be nice to know when the next brew is coming.

Oops i got the wrong malt

Postby craigev » 06 Sep 2009, 14:24

Damn, i mixed up my pils and pale ale grain bins. now iv got a pilsener lager made from pale ale, and an ESB made from pilsener grain ! wonder how they will turn out.
craigev

Re: Oops i got the wrong malt

Postby Hunty » 07 Sep 2009, 16:14

just base malts.... my bet is they will be fine
The Power of Positive Drinking
Hunty

Postby spud » 08 Sep 2009, 13:47

Agree with Hunty, U may want to change your recipes after tasting LOL..
Craig U bulk bagging now days, man thats a huge step up from buying the odd kg here and there.
No wonder your Brews are consistaint, good on U..
Micky Jones would be proud of U LOL..
cheers spud
Brewing, well awaiting to be - Newcastle Nut, American Pale
Keg - Scottish 80/-, Eda's Milk Stout
Next in line - Choc /Hazelnut Porter, Dry Knickers Stout then, Classic American Pils, Kolsch.
spud

Postby Hunty » 15 Sep 2009, 17:39

spud wrote:Agree with Hunty, U may want to change your recipes after tasting LOL..
Craig U bulk bagging now days, man thats a huge step up from buying the odd kg here and there.
No wonder your Brews are consistaint, good on U..
Micky Jones would be proud of U LOL..
cheers spud

Surely u r bulk bagging as well resident Spudulator ? Dont think I've bought anything less than 25 kg for a long time now...
Hunty

Postby spud » 16 Sep 2009, 07:39

Not as yet Hunty, no space, have to throw away some toys maybe LOL.
What are U using as containers then...
spud
Brewing, well awaiting to be - Newcastle Nut, American Pale
Keg - Scottish 80/-, Eda's Milk Stout
Next in line - Choc /Hazelnut Porter, Dry Knickers Stout then, Classic American Pils, Kolsch.
spud

Postby Hunty » 16 Sep 2009, 11:15

soon as I get it, split into 5 x 5kg bags (double) then store in rerigerator or freezer , wherever space exists...

on brewday I warm it up to room temperature, crush and away we go..
Hunty

Postby craigev » 20 Sep 2009, 15:28

Ye spud, i have two plastic containers for malt bins. can store 25kg each. its cheaper to buy in bulk, and yu dont have to plan ahead and collect/order per batch.

also, yes, you can get more consistency since you keep brewing with same base grain. having said that, when you run out of one and get a new bag, you might not be able to get same brand, or same year.
craigev

Postby craigev » 26 Sep 2009, 18:10

So, the outcome of my two batches with swapped base grain..

The Pils, brewed with just 100% Pale Ale malt (no specialty malt), at lager temps, lager yeast, saaz hops... wierd ! nice beer, but wierd. ale colour. doesnt really taste like a lager at all due to the really alelike maltiness. really smooth tho. but since its so clean a ferment, the malt just wacks you over the head. and well, its the wrong malt ! quite buiscuity i guess. have re-labelled it as a steam beer, but not particularly proud of it as a lager, but its easily drinkable. perhaps it is closer to a bock what with the crystals.

The Ale, brewed with pilsener malt, EKG and Fuggles hops, Ale yeast. Well, tastes fine. wouldnt really know it was a pils base. but i did a mix of crystals so maybe theyre masking the pils grain a lot. fruity due to the ale temp ferm. not too bad.
craigev

Return to Who's got what in their fermenter?