Pale Ale with Duvel yeast

Don't need a question to start a thread here. The weather is hot, it would be nice to know when the next brew is coming.

Pale Ale with Duvel yeast

Postby avp » 07 Oct 2010, 21:15

This was a first experiment using yeast harvested from a commercial beer, Duvel in this case. The "beer brewing aroma" coming from the primary was very strong, never had this happen since I started brewing.
Just opened a bottle that was in the fridge for about four days, and it tastes just great. Should be better in a few months time. Looks like this is going to be a standard brew for me.
The yeast from the bottle of Duvel took about a week to "bloom", and I made a starter of 500ml for the 14 litre batch. Took off in about 4 hours after pitching.

Style: Belgian Pale Ale
Type: All grain
Size: 14 liters
Color: 7 HCU (~5 SRM)
Bitterness: 28 IBU
OG: 1.055 FG: 1.012 (Actual OG: 1.054 Actual FG: 1.011)
Alcohol: 5.5% v/v (4.4% w/w)

Grain: 2kg Pilsner
1kg Munich
Mash: 70% efficiency
50*C - 30 mins
60*C - 30 mins
68*C - 30 mins
Boil: 60 minutes
0.35kg Corn sugar
1/2 tsp Irish Moss (15 mins).
1/2 tsp yeast nutrient (5 mins)
Hops: 1.5 oz. Hallertauer (4.25% AA, 60 min.)
0.75 oz. Saaz (aroma)
Yeast: Yeast harvested from a bottle of Duvel.
Primed with corn sugar.

Number crunching courtesy of Beer Recipator 2.2
Cheers
ash
I prefer a bottle in front of me to a frontal lobotomy.
avp

Re: Pale Ale with Duvel yeast

Postby Don » 20 Oct 2010, 15:56

Getting me interested.... but some questions;

How did you prepare for the yeast starter? U added brew enhancer?
How was the initial yeast collected? I guess there might be some Duvel left in them?

Did you batch sparge the mash at 60/68ºC?

Duvel is close to about 8.6% abv, how would you increase the grain bill?
Don

Postby avp » 21 Oct 2010, 08:32

Hi Don
First things first, there was no intention to create a Duvel Clone, as I think that 8.6% abv is a bit hard to swallow - despite what some others think. Aimed for something closer to +5%.

Drink the better part of a bottle of Duvel, careful to leave behind about 1cm of beer + yeast, then add to about 500ml of wort, and I added 1/2 tsp of yeast nutrient, aerated it and kept the whole thing at about 22*C in an esky with some ice blocks. After about three/four days a krausen begins to form, and just let it continue blooming.

Mashing was nothing fancy, just keep adding heated water to the mash to increase the temperature to the required level and let it rest at that temp. BTW this was done BIAB style - mash, boil and ferment in the same SS stockpot.

I put the numbers into the free online calculator at Recipator 2.2 found at http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator?12533733#tag. You could increase the grain bill as required to get 8.6%
Cheers
avp
avp

Postby Don » 23 Oct 2010, 17:44

Alas..... something went wrong with my conversion table for the starter,... don't ask me why
I used 300gm of DME for 1L of wort. I added 2 bottle of Duvel yeast from the bottle into the cooled wort.
I read somewhere the yeast will be too stressed to "reproduce"....on a high gravity wort starter
I hope all is not lost.... any comments?
Don

Postby avp » 23 Oct 2010, 23:07

If I remember correctly, the SG of my starter was 1.046. It took about three/maybe four days before I saw anything happening. All I can advise is patience. And if it does not work, you've got an absolutely perfect reason to buy another two bottles of Duvel. :D
My batch is now lagering at 5*C and should be OK for Christmas, I hope. :?
Cheers
avp
avp

Return to Who's got what in their fermenter?