Diamond Knot IPA

Don't need a question to start a thread here. The weather is hot, it would be nice to know when the next brew is coming.

Diamond Knot IPA

Postby HopHead » 29 Aug 2007, 14:48

Well, I have heard of Diamond Knot Brewery before I came here from the states, so i thought I would try their kit.
Unfortunatly since this is a authorized copy of there recipe, they do not divulge the specific ingredients.

It is a partial grain kit with 2-row, Crystal and Munich malts that came pre-cracked with a grain bag. It was steeped between 148-158 F for 30 minutes.

there was a large bag of DME, I'm guessing about 1.5 Kg's with the bittering hops already mixed in (but i didn't see any) Can they Pre hop it like a LME before dehydrating? So I added another 20g of Cascade to the mix. Not sure if it was the right thing to do or not but O'well, Brew-drink-learn

Flavoring hops, again not specified although definatly not Cascade as I compared to what i had left. weight was 30gr. also came with clarifying tablet.

Finishing hops same weight and smell was added with two minutes left in the boil.

Pitched in Brewerks yeast they used in their IPA. O.G. 10.46 very bitter on the taste so we will see what it tastes like after fermenting.

Came with dry hopping pack as well that I will add to keg.
HopHead

Diamond Knot IPA

Postby spud » 29 Aug 2007, 15:39

Hi HopHead.
Have to admit never seen a FULL Brewing Kit that is stocked like yours was. Sounds like its just the norm to pick them up like this. With that thinking in mind and you obviously weren't asked if U wanted extra (this and that) so I'd say they have their shite together and everything U need was indeed there. Mind U the extra Hops U added ,, say no more - :lol: follow your name.
I havent heard but maybe someone else has where the manufactures have converted the hops to dust and have included them with the DME. U said that a grain bag was include. See any hop residue after DME was added either in the bag or around the edge of what ever you was using..
Interesting way of doing it and makes the Brew day neat and tidy without the fuss..
Hope the Beer turns out as expected.

Cheers Spud
Brewing, well awaiting to be - Newcastle Nut, American Pale
Keg - Scottish 80/-, Eda's Milk Stout
Next in line - Choc /Hazelnut Porter, Dry Knickers Stout then, Classic American Pils, Kolsch.
spud

Postby HopHead » 29 Aug 2007, 16:17

Yes, the kit was pretty complete as it was a brewery's recipe.
There was a fine sediment in the pot after transfering but I forgot to close one of my hop bags :x so its hard to tell.

The website I ordered from gives pretty complete kits. There is even an option on your yeasts but had it sent with the dry as I did not think the liquid would make the extended trip through the post. It seems I can get the yeast I need locally anyway. I'll just keep the dry as a standby.

I believe I read somewhere, where they boil the hops in with the malt then clean it up and dehydrate it to the concentrated LME. Not sure how they make DME may just dry it out or freeze dry it.
I suppose freeze drying the hops then grinding them may protect the flavors better but not sure.

Cheers
One good thing is its only 3+ hours and there is already movment in the airlock :D
HopHead

Postby HopHead » 17 Sep 2007, 07:24

Well My kegs finally arrived so I kegged this one late saturday night.
This one stayed in the fermentor for a total of 18 days due to the delay but I believe it will be fine. I mixed in some gelatin this time but it did not completly dissolve. Is it ok to add it to the priming sugar water (which I did) or is it better to do seperately? I added the dry hops that came with the kit, which due to odor were cascades. Primed and sealed her up. FG 10.14
The color on this one turned out a bit lighter in color than the other ales I've made. The taste was a little bitter.

Up next Wizards Wheat

Cheers!!
Last edited by HopHead on 20 Sep 2007, 16:35, edited 1 time in total.
Brew-Drink-Learn
HopHead

Postby keat » 17 Sep 2007, 08:38

HopHead wrote: I mixed in some gelatin this time but it did not completly dissolve. Is it ok to add it to the priming sugar water (which I did) or is it better to do seperately?

I've done it before when I was still using TADs, with no ill effects. However, on hindsight, it's not a good idea. The gelatin is not boiled, only pastuerized, and mixing with the sugar will give whatever remaining organism a headstart over the yeast.
On Tap:Nil
Coming up: German Blonde
In fond memories: The Pursuit of Hoppyness (IBC 2007 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale (IBC 2008 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale III (Asia Beer Awards 2008 Gold)
keat

Postby HopHead » 23 Dec 2007, 14:51

To my regret had to drink this one by my lonesome :twisted: as it was to bitter for most. the extra bittering hops were to much.
Brew-Drink-Learn
HopHead

Return to Who's got what in their fermenter?