Wizards Wheat

Don't need a question to start a thread here. The weather is hot, it would be nice to know when the next brew is coming.

Wizards Wheat

Postby HopHead » 20 Sep 2007, 17:03

This is another recipie kit courtesy of Homebrew Heaven.

Its an all Wheat DME kit with Hallertauer bittering hops mixed in. Crystal Malt steeping grains more hallertauer hops for flavor and aroma and a clarifying tablet.

Some process as before. Steeped the grains for about 30 mins at around 152F in 2.5 gallons of water. Added DME and brought to boil. Boiled for 45 mins then added Flavoring hops, added more at 58 min for aroma. Partially cooled in sink with ice water then siphoned to fermenter which I topped off with very cold water to the 23L mark. This dropped the temp down to 21C which is when I pitched the Hoegaarden Yeast (thanks again Fal). sealed it up and put it in the chest freezer set at 22c. She was bubbling nicley after four hours.

target SG was 10.46 to 10.53, mine ended up at 10.42

Note: With the hop bag not breaking this time I was able to see the hops in the DME during the boil. They are very fine but are there.
Brew-Drink-Learn
HopHead

Postby HopHead » 02 Oct 2007, 21:54

Well I racked it into the keg Sunday afternoon. Finished at 1.010.
The taste had the nice clove and banana profile but thin. It finished lower than it was supposed to, but at the same time my SG was lower than it was supposed to as well.
Although thin, it is drinkable, I think I'll rename this wheat light :)

Cheers!
Brew-Drink-Learn
HopHead

Postby HopHead » 23 Dec 2007, 14:49

This one turned out great. let it mature for about six weeks, took it to a bbq with friends and it didn't make it back home. Going to add a vanilla bean to my next wheat to make it more complex in flavor.
Brew-Drink-Learn
HopHead

Return to Who's got what in their fermenter?