Strawberry Blonde Ale Batch 1

Don't need a question to start a thread here. The weather is hot, it would be nice to know when the next brew is coming.

Strawberry Blonde Ale Batch 1

Postby HopHead » 23 Dec 2007, 14:45

Like everyone else, I had a supply of beer at home and have been busy at work so I Finally had a chance to brew today.

Batch History

This is my first request beer. It will be a baby beer so I'm making multiple batches to perfect the recipie before I make the actual beer when the baby is born. She didn't care what kind of beer it was, it just had to have strawberries in it. Researching recipies on the net I've found that strawberries are one of the hardest fruits to brew with due to the delicate flavors and for Singapore, lack of extremely fresh berries. So I decided on a blonde ale as I don't like to lager and due to its lightness should help bring out more of the strawberry flavor.

So the plan is to hopefully find frozen berries as they are a little more concentrated in flavors make them into a puree then add them to the secondary (the only reason why I'm doing a secondary). Let them sit on the berries for a week or so to ferment out what surgars are present then keg.

Malt: Light DME, Some wheat DME, Maltodextrin
Steeping grains: Crystal and Vienna malts 400gms total.
Hops: Glacier 20 gm for bittering and Willamette 14 gm. for flavor
did concentrated boil of 10 liters for one hour. ending boil gravity was 1.100.
chilled in sink and added wort to fermenter with icewater to bring volume up to 23 liters and temp down to 24 C. Yeast nutrient added after aggressive wisking to add oxygen.
pitching gravity was 1.044
yeast was Wyeast 1056 American Ale activator pack. "swelled in 2 hours"
Will ferment at 22 C.

Brew Schedule:
Vanilla Wheat
ESB

Happy holidays!
Brew-Drink-Learn
HopHead

Re: Strawberry Blonde Ale Batch 1

Postby HopHead » 31 Dec 2007, 14:16

This one fermented out rather quickly. was down to a 1.012 by christmas day. added 1.5 kg of fresh strawberries. Let the beer sit on it until Sunday. opened up the fermenter and it had a very strong strawberry aroma :D . It was a little light on berry taste though. I'm naturally carbonating this one to help minimize the scrubbing out to much flavor by force carbonation. In two weeks we shall see if it turned out or not.
Brew-Drink-Learn
HopHead

Return to Who's got what in their fermenter?