Canadian Strong

Don't need a question to start a thread here. The weather is hot, it would be nice to know when the next brew is coming.

Canadian Strong

Postby Hunty » 18 Feb 2008, 13:33

Sine I have moved home and essentially stoveless for the sake of a decent full boil, I decided to put doen a can of Canadian blonde to get me started, a bit tired of drinking canned Changi.. :x

So did a 1/2 boil (really crappy boil sadly) for 10 litres, added the kit, 1 kg DME + 1 Kg dextrose, 30 mins for 20 g Cascade and 15 mins for another 20g in a hopsock.

Cooled to 28 deg C, pitched a smackpack of London Ale III Wyeast after aerating well. Brought total volume up to 22 litres with filtered water (did not preboil).

Pitch temp a little higher than I'd have liked but the fridge pulled it down to 21 in a matter of hours, so should be right as rain.

This kit can stored in the refrigerator since I got it (October last year) so will be interesting to see how this baby turns out.

Will let u know.

Hunty
Last edited by Hunty on 01 Mar 2008, 10:53, edited 1 time in total.
The Power of Positive Drinking
Hunty

Re: Canadian Blonde

Postby solidghost » 18 Feb 2008, 14:19

I see that you boiled with the kit for 30 minutes, did the colour turn dark for you?
solidghost

Postby Hunty » 18 Feb 2008, 16:14

G'day solid

hmm, have not heard too many issues re a small boil and colour, but to answer your question no I did not notice any appreciable colour change before and after the boil. I think the only real test is in the final beer, I will let you know then.

Hunty
Hunty

Postby Roger » 18 Feb 2008, 16:15

I kg dextrose is too much for a standard kit I read.
Roger

Postby Hunty » 18 Feb 2008, 16:21

hmm, maybe, and I should have halved it perhaps, but I don't usually brew kits and didnt want 1/2 kg dextrose lying around, so I threw it in.

But alcohol should be 5.3%, which I don't consider too strong...

Hunty
Hunty

Postby solidghost » 18 Feb 2008, 20:06

thanks hunty.
not sure why, but when I boiled my pale ale kit for about 45minutes, it turned a bit darker. Isn't exactly pale in colour.
solidghost

Postby Roger » 18 Feb 2008, 22:31

solidghost wrote:thanks hunty.
not sure why, but when I boiled my pale ale kit for about 45minutes, it turned a bit darker. Isn't exactly pale in colour.

I read somewhere. Boil malt for 10-15mins, then kit for 5-10mins, then finally any sugar for 1-2mins. I believe 45mins is too long.
Roger

Postby Hunty » 19 Feb 2008, 07:03

I think just enough boil to do the hop extraction should be sufficient.

Also agree should not boil sugars too long to avoid caramelisation. However you never know how sterile solid sugars are..so a bit of a boil to ensure sterility in the form of a late addition should be fine.

In my case I just did the whole lot for 1/2 hour.

I have read though, not sure how true it is, that if you have kits that are out of date and perhaps stale that a good 1 hour hard boil of the kit can help to remove any stale tastes.... not tried this though.
Hunty

Postby solidghost » 19 Feb 2008, 08:12

From Cooper's site, it says that the beer kit has already been boiled and the proteins removed and it is no recommended to do another boil. but i think another 5 to 10 minute boil would be good to ensure there are no bacteria in the wort from the sugars or the beer kit.
solidghost

Postby Hunty » 19 Feb 2008, 10:54

it says that the beer kit has already been boiled and the proteins removed

interesting that I did notice some protein formation during the boil though.

I also understood the malt preparation process involved vaccuum evaporation/drying rather than boiling, but hey, as said I usually do the AG so no experts on kits..

my view on kits + dme brews... boil enough to extract the hops, 1/2 hour should be fine. Personally, I think if you are adding sugars it doesnt make much difference whther its done for 1/2 hour or in the last five minutes.

beer colour in kits... that to me is far more dependent on how fresh your malt and ingredients are, than how long you boil for. :wink:
Hunty

Postby solidghost » 19 Feb 2008, 12:22

Yup.
Hey was wondering if I use Brew Enhancer 2 which includes light malt, should I do a long boil too? The brew enhancer 2 is a mix of malt, dextrose and malto-dextrin.
solidghost

Postby Hunty » 19 Feb 2008, 15:03

Brew Enhancer II

Tried that once. Beer came out way too sweet, but don't let me stop you trying it ...

The problem with these "enhancers" is you just dont know what's going in there, but like you say, its probably just dextrose with a tad of maltodextrin thrown in. In days gone by I used to use Maltodextrin to try to improve head retention which I always had trouble with in bottled kit beers, but soon gave it up when it seemed to make no discernable difference.

Hunty
Hunty

Postby solidghost » 19 Feb 2008, 15:55

Hahaha, I am sure that it would taste better than my first brew which only include the brewing sugar which is mainly sucrose I think.
I am using majority malt for my next brew. And Munton's yeast premium.
solidghost

Postby Hunty » 19 Feb 2008, 16:32

solidghost wrote:Hahaha, I am sure that it would taste better than my first brew which only include the brewing sugar which is mainly sucrose I think.
I am using majority malt for my next brew. And Munton's yeast premium.

You sound enthusiatic, by all means try out different kits. But now that you are moving to 100 % DME as the adjunct to your kit, what you might also want to try is your own recipe using just DME or LME, and your own hops boiling schedule. That way you will know exactly what is going into your beer... :wink:

Hunty
Hunty

Postby solidghost » 19 Feb 2008, 21:20

Yup, maybe a 50 minute boil for 2.5kg light dry malt extract, 30 minute for bittering hops, 5 minute for finishing hops (cascade). Maybe add a 500g dextrose just to make sure everything is fermentable.
solidghost

Next

Return to Who's got what in their fermenter?