Canadian Strong

Don't need a question to start a thread here. The weather is hot, it would be nice to know when the next brew is coming.

Re: Canadian Blonde

Postby Hunty » 20 Feb 2008, 07:49

I suggest that you use a piece of software to fine tune.

I use the beer recipator for quick calculations:

http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator

good luck
The Power of Positive Drinking
Hunty

Postby solidghost » 21 Feb 2008, 08:49

Ahh...this little script is pretty cool. Thanks hunty
The low and high part is particularly useful for newbies like me who have no idea what is considered bitter or not.
solidghost

Postby Hunty » 22 Feb 2008, 07:12

my SG down to 1024 now, from calculated 1055, was 1030 on Wednesday night, so it still has some way to go, target 1014 to 1015. Obviously beer still has a sweet taste, almost muscatel kind of aroma so therefore very fruity... hmmm, shall see. Still, clean with no off flavours detected.

This yeast is a true top fermenter, usually when I take an SG sample a slug of yeast comes through, not with this, it seems crystal clear and the yeast layer is busy at the top as it should be for a true ale yeast..

Somehow I doubt this will be done before next intended brewday ie Sunday, so may have to defer to the following weekend :(
Hunty

Postby solidghost » 22 Feb 2008, 08:15

I was told in forums (homebrewtalk) to keep it in the fermenter for at least 2 weeks. Some even told me to go as long as 4 weeks in the fermenter to get a better tasting beer but any longer, the yeast may start to die off and form off-flavours. For my pale ale, I think I will do 2 weeks.
solidghost

Postby Hunty » 22 Feb 2008, 08:30

solidghost wrote:I was told in forums (homebrewtalk) to keep it in the fermenter for at least 2 weeks. Some even told me to go as long as 4 weeks in the fermenter to get a better tasting beer but any longer, the yeast may start to die off and form off-flavours. For my pale ale, I think I will do 2 weeks.

that may be what is printed, and I think they are dead right (no pun intended) on the yeast autolysis thing, however I fail to see the reason to leave the beer atop the yeast cake after the fermentation is complete. And the best way to tell that is to check the SG. :wink:

me, I'll trust my old hydrometer. :wink:
Last edited by Hunty on 22 Feb 2008, 16:15, edited 1 time in total.
Hunty

Postby htkm » 22 Feb 2008, 08:53

wow! your back on kits. I nearly fell off my chair when I read this. (Joking :mrgreen: )
Keg:
Secondary:
Primary: Dry Stout
Brewing Soon: Pliny The Elder
htkm

Postby Hunty » 22 Feb 2008, 11:26

htkm wrote:wow! your back on kits. I nearly fell off my chair when I read this. (Joking :mrgreen: )

:lol: :lol: :lol:

now be nice. Just the one starter. This kit has been in the fridge and nowhere else, so am very inetrested to test the cold storage theory. As you know many of my initial forays in kits produced off tastes, the worst one was the metallic taste that I just could not shift ... this one is all fresh and with a liquid yeast as well as additional cascade hops in a half boil. Not sure I could improve too much from there.

nontheless I will, this weekend have the equipment to recommence AG. how about u HT, what u been brewing ?
Hunty

Postby spud » 22 Feb 2008, 13:12

:shock: I did fall off the chair,, Not an expert Kit & Kilo what a lot of #%$$#@!,,
Werent you the K&K man from way back,, like rising a bloody bike :wink:
Go hunty,,, shame about the Cheap mouth wash U using,, have some in the fridge as well LOL.
Like shite strained thru and Arbians loin cloth on a hot day.
spud
Brewing, well awaiting to be - Newcastle Nut, American Pale
Keg - Scottish 80/-, Eda's Milk Stout
Next in line - Choc /Hazelnut Porter, Dry Knickers Stout then, Classic American Pils, Kolsch.
spud

Postby Hunty » 22 Feb 2008, 14:15

Like shite strained thru and Arbians loin cloth on a hot day.

mate given my keg stock level of late, even that will do... :wink:
Hunty

Postby Hunty » 23 Feb 2008, 11:14

SG again today, we're at 1.020 and falling.

Going to be at least another 5 days for this baby I think

Yeast layer remains right atop the beer, have not seen this before in brews of the past... interesting yeast.

Sample still sweetish even at 1.020, but very very clean. Very fruit smell, still seems to have that muscatel smell to it, but alot less than when SG was 1.030. I am impressed so far, very much looking forward to the finished product. Sounds like its behaving exactly like Wyeast said it does...

This is the London Ale III blurb:

From traditional London brewery with great malt and hop profile. True top cropping strain, fruity, very light, soft balanced palate, finishes slightly sweet.

Origin:
Flocculation: high
Attenuation: 71-75%
Temperature Range: 64-74° F (18-23° C)
Alcohol Tolerance: approximately 10% ABV
Hunty

Beer Kit Re-visited

Postby Raymond » 23 Feb 2008, 11:17

Hi Hunty,

Looking at your hop schedule and amount of dextrose you bang in this brew. I think you'll find this coming out very bitter and strong (6.5%). I never boil my hops beyond 15 min. This baby will require at least 2 months of conditioning. Maybe you need to put another brew down to quench your thirst, if this was your plan.
See that you're using your water for the first time from this new house. Interesting variable too. Nonetheless, everybody is keeping a close read on this experiment. Like anticipating the birth of a child (No personal experience here). GO HUNTY!

Raymond
Raymond
Site Admin

Re: Beer Kit Re-visited

Postby Hunty » 23 Feb 2008, 11:20

Raymond wrote:Hi Hunty,

Looking at your hop schedule and amount of dextrose you bang in this brew. I think you'll find this coming out very bitter and strong (6.5%). I never boil my hops beyond 15 min. This baby will require at least 2 months of conditioning. Maybe you need to put another brew down to quench your thirst, if this was your plan.
See that you're using your water for the first time from this new house. Interesting variable.

Raymond

hey bud, how did u come up with 6.5% ? my calcs gave me 5%.

also I added only 13 odd IBU to the base , hardly alot ?... anyway, like you say, time will tell.

Here's a recipator calc, I am assuming about 73% attenuation down to 1.015.

Brewer: Hunty
Beer: Canadian Blonde Style: -
Type: Extract
Size: 22.5 liters
Color: 6 HCU (~5 SRM)
Bitterness: 13 IBU
OG: 1.054 FG: 1.015
Alcohol: 5.0% v/v (3.9% w/w)
Boil:30 minutes SG [email protected] 15 liters
1.7kg Light liquid malt extract (ie the kit)
1.0kg Light dry malt extract
1.0kg Corn sugar (dextrose)
Hops:
20g Cascade (6% AA, 30 min.)
20g Cascade (6% AA, 15 min.)
Hunty

Postby Raymond » 23 Feb 2008, 13:07

Didn't see any mention of your OG. So I assume it could be around 1.055. With Dextrose, your attenuation rate may be much higher. So I estimate your FG could be 1.008/10 . This should give you around 6% in kegging or 6.5% in primed bottles.
BTW, how is color so far?
Raymond
Site Admin

Postby Hunty » 23 Feb 2008, 13:47

So I estimate your FG could be 1.008/10

ok fair point re the dextrose and you are correct on the OG. Lets see where the final SG comes in... but I've never gotten below 1.010 on pretty much anything I have brewed before.

I will also certainly be kegging this brew...

Thanks
Hunty
Hunty

Postby solidghost » 23 Feb 2008, 17:32

How's the Colour? I just wondered whether the 45min boiling time will affect the colour.
My Pale Ale was not pale at all when I did that, it was more amber than pale.
solidghost

PreviousNext

Return to Who's got what in their fermenter?