Munich Helles04 (AG)

Don't need a question to start a thread here. The weather is hot, it would be nice to know when the next brew is coming.

Re: Munich Helles04 (AG)

Postby htkm » 01 Jun 2008, 11:02

Hunty wrote:so, this baby kegged yet HT ? time to move on to the next brew ya ? ;)

Just crash the temp. Will keg tomorrow.
Keg:
Secondary:
Primary: Dry Stout
Brewing Soon: Pliny The Elder
htkm

Postby htkm » 05 Jul 2008, 16:16

Did not want to waste so split into two. One TAD and the rest went to secondary/rack. About to rack the secondary. This is from the TAD. Taste: Hoppy and a bit of malt on the noise. Clean, Slight malty with bitterness at the end that lingers on the palate. Visually clear as a SBS (Shop Bought Shit) or commercial beer. Now the bitterness is subjective cause my DC said it's not bitter.
Attachments
helles.jpg
Keg:
Secondary:
htkm

Postby keat » 10 Jul 2008, 09:09

htkm wrote:Did not want to waste so split into two. One TAD and the rest went to secondary/rack. About to rack the secondary. This is from the TAD. Taste: Hoppy and a bit of malt on the noise. Clean, Slight malty with bitterness at the end that lingers on the palate. Visually clear as a SBS (Shop Bought Shit) or commercial beer. Now the bitterness is subjective cause my DC said it's not bitter.

I see you're using the Bodum glass as well, I hope thats a 1 pint glass or you'll be branded a wuss :mrgreen:
On Tap:Nil
Coming up: German Blonde
In fond memories: The Pursuit of Hoppyness (IBC 2007 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale (IBC 2008 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale III (Asia Beer Awards 2008 Gold)
keat

Postby htkm » 12 Jul 2008, 12:23

keat wrote:
htkm wrote:Did not want to waste so split into two. One TAD and the rest went to secondary/rack. About to rack the secondary. This is from the TAD. Taste: Hoppy and a bit of malt on the noise. Clean, Slight malty with bitterness at the end that lingers on the palate. Visually clear as a SBS (Shop Bought Shit) or commercial beer. Now the bitterness is subjective cause my DC said it's not bitter.

I see you're using the Bodum glass as well, I hope thats a 1 pint glass or you'll be branded a wuss :mrgreen:

Off course it's a pint glass. Speaking of which, it's actually difficult to find a pint glass. not to mention a good one.
Keg:
Secondary:
htkm

DMS

Postby craigev » 18 Mar 2009, 13:55

So, having just gone through a podcast on DMS, Im still not sure if i have ever tasted it, nor personally know anyone who has ever tasted it in a finished beer.

I have brewed many pilsener grain beers and always done 60 min boils and never "identified" DMS as being present. I have noticed, and others have commented on, my lagers having diacetyl sometimes. Can the two off tastes be confused ? its important to know which off taste you actually have so you can review what you might have done wrong.

Does anyone else usually do 60 min boils using pils grain ? and have you actually tasted DMS in your final beer ?

I know a few people will point me to the stock taste comparators of DMS and say if you have cooked corn etc then you have DMS, but i just cant detect that in my beer. But surely i SHOULD be tasting it sometimes since i always do 60 min boils. Jamil makes it sound like a sure thing if you dont do at least 90 mins. I mean he managed to talk a whole hour about it ! so it must be a common problem.
craigev

Re: DMS

Postby keat » 18 Mar 2009, 21:02

craigev wrote:So, having just gone through a podcast on DMS, Im still not sure if i have ever tasted it, nor personally know anyone who has ever tasted it in a finished beer.

I have brewed many pilsener grain beers and always done 60 min boils and never "identified" DMS as being present. I have noticed, and others have commented on, my lagers having diacetyl sometimes. Can the two off tastes be confused ? its important to know which off taste you actually have so you can review what you might have done wrong.

Does anyone else usually do 60 min boils using pils grain ? and have you actually tasted DMS in your final beer ?

I know a few people will point me to the stock taste comparators of DMS and say if you have cooked corn etc then you have DMS, but i just cant detect that in my beer. But surely i SHOULD be tasting it sometimes since i always do 60 min boils. Jamil makes it sound like a sure thing if you dont do at least 90 mins. I mean he managed to talk a whole hour about it ! so it must be a common problem.

DMS and diactyl is 2 different thing. DMS smells like cooked corn or cabbage, and I've only detected it in Pilsner malt, never Pale malt. To get a good sampling of DMS, get a whiff of the mash after doughing in, should be very detectable. I've only done 60mins boil on all my kolsches using pils malt and have not detected any DMS, maybe I'm not sensitive to it at low levels. Sometimes the best way to detect off-flavors is to seek 2nd opinions. Jamil could be basing his opinions on american pils malt, which MAY have a higher DMS content.

Diactyl is honey and buttery, sometimes hard to detect unless it is a very clean lager.
In fond memories: The Pursuit of Hoppyness (IBC 2007 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale (IBC 2008 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale III (Asia Beer Awards 2008 Gold)
keat

Postby Hunty » 19 Mar 2009, 12:07

DMS and diactyl is 2 different thing. DMS smells like cooked corn or cabbage, and I've only detected it in Pilsner malt, never Pale malt. To get a good sampling of DMS, get a whiff of the mash after doughing in, should be very detectable. I've only done 60mins boil on all my kolsches using pils malt and have not detected any DMS, maybe I'm not sensitive to it at low levels. Sometimes the best way to detect off-flavors is to seek 2nd opinions. Jamil could be basing his opinions on american pils malt, which MAY have a higher DMS content.

Diactyl is honey and buttery, sometimes hard to detect unless it is a very clean lager.

A trained palatte can pick up traces of DMS but it can be reduced by bubbling CO2 though the finished beer. Diacetyl taste is hard to describe but I can detect it at 20 paces... kind of like a combination of butterscotch/honey/caramel. Again it can be cured by piching live yeast if you think the residual yeast is inactive) and warming the beer to 20-24 deg C for a few days. As lord keat says, the "better" the lager, the easier it is to detect the diacetyl, which is what makes a good lager so tricky to make.
The Power of Positive Drinking
Hunty

Postby craigev » 20 Mar 2009, 13:50

For the record, Jamils recipe was using continental pils malt and he says to boil at least 90 mins to reduce DMS.

So Hunty/Keat , do you guys always do 90+ min boils for Pils malt brews ? I mean its an extra half hour in the brew day.
craigev

Postby Hunty » 20 Mar 2009, 19:53

I've only ever done 60 min boils......
The Power of Positive Drinking
Hunty

Postby keat » 20 Mar 2009, 21:28

same here..never 90mins
keat

Previous

Return to Who's got what in their fermenter?