Cheap Bastard Ale III

Don't need a question to start a thread here. The weather is hot, it would be nice to know when the next brew is coming.

Cheap Bastard Ale III

Postby keat » 26 Aug 2008, 23:22

Well hope you guys enjoyed Cheap Bastard Ale II during IBC... I kind of missed having more of it, so I'm brewing another batch, with some tweaks of course ;)

Changed yeast to a new VSS WY2450 Denny's Fav 50 - similar strain to the WY1056 Cal Ale, here's the description from Wyeast.
A mainstay of one of our local homebrewers, Mr. Denny Conn, this terrific all-round yeast can be used for almost any style beer. It is unique in that it produces a big mouthfeel and helps accentuate the malt, caramel, or fruit character of a beer without being sweet or under-attenuating. A great yeast for extract brewers and for fruit beers.

Tweaked the hop additions and moved some of the IBUs towards later hopping (from 60 to 10mins), hopefully to achieve better aroma and flavor.

Code: Select all
Cheap Bastard Ale III

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (L):          25.00    Wort Size (L):     25.00
Total Grain (kg):         5.60
Anticipated OG:          1.056    Plato:             13.89
Anticipated SRM:           4.4
Anticipated IBU:          34.9
Brewhouse Efficiency:       80 %
Wort Boil Time:             60    Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar
   %     Amount     Name                          Origin        Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
25.0     1.40 kg.  Pale Malt(2-row)              Belgium        80.07      3
19.6     1.10 kg.  Pale Malt(2-row)              Great Britain  82.23      3
  5.4     0.30 kg.  Munich Malt                   Great Britain  80.07      6
50.0     2.80 kg.  Weyermann Pilsner             Germany        82.23      2

Hops
   Amount     Name                              Form    Alpha  IBU  Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
14.00 g.     Horizon                           Pellet  13.00  23.2  60 min.
19.00 g.     Columbus                          Pellet  14.50   7.0  10 min.
19.00 g.     Centennial                        Pellet   9.60   4.6  10 min.
18.00 g.     Columbus                          Pellet  14.50   0.0  0 min.
18.00 g.     Centennial                        Pellet   9.60   0.0  0 min.

Yeast
-----
WYeast 2450 VSS Denny's Favorite 50

Mash Schedule
-------------
                     Step   Rest   Start   Stop  Heat     Infuse   Infuse  Infuse
Step Name            Time   Time   Temp    Temp  Type     Temp     Amount  Ratio
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Beta Glucan Rest       5     20     44      44   Infuse    46       16.80   3.00
Protein Rest           5     20     52      52   Direct   ---     -------   ----
Sacc Rest              5     60     65      65   Direct   ---     -------   ----
Mash Out               5      5     77      77   Direct   ---     -------   ----
On Tap:Nil
Coming up: German Blonde
In fond memories: The Pursuit of Hoppyness (IBC 2007 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale (IBC 2008 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale III (Asia Beer Awards 2008 Gold)
keat

Re: Cheap Bastard Ale III

Postby Hunty » 27 Aug 2008, 08:36

sounds great Keat

but I notice you are running with the "super dry" patented mash schedule. Because this is an ale would you want a bit more body from the malt and leave out the protein rest ? Or is that because you have that belgian malt in there still ;) ?

like you I am zero beer stock after IBC... seriously not a drop in the house, have to resort to commercial beer till I can rebuild some stock :(

may have to slip in an ale or two just to get going
The Power of Positive Drinking
Hunty

Postby keat » 27 Aug 2008, 14:21

Hunty wrote:sounds great Keat

but I notice you are running with the "super dry" patented mash schedule. Because this is an ale would you want a bit more body from the malt and leave out the protein rest ? Or is that because you have that belgian malt in there still ;) ?

like you I am zero beer stock after IBC... seriously not a drop in the house, have to resort to commercial beer till I can rebuild some stock :(

may have to slip in an ale or two just to get going

yes, using the superdry mash to cater for the dextrinous belgian malt. This will be the last batch using it...so tired of the long mash... Was tempted to leave out the protein rest, but in the end, I raised the sacc rest temp to give it more body. Hopefully the yeast does what it is advertised and give better mouthfeel.

the lager master is brewing an ale?!? next thing you know, he'll be brewing wine :lol: :lol:
In fond memories: The Pursuit of Hoppyness (IBC 2007 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale (IBC 2008 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale III (Asia Beer Awards 2008 Gold)
keat

Postby Hunty » 27 Aug 2008, 17:37

the lager master is brewing an ale?!? next thing you know, he'll be brewing wine

not for a while, got to figure out how to do the amber properly first ... :cry:
Hunty

Postby keat » 18 Oct 2008, 16:05

Made a beer label for this, since the big boys have something to put up... http://www.singaporebeerfestival.com/aba_awards.html

keat

Postby southernoise » 19 Oct 2008, 23:03

this label rocks!
On Tap:
Coming up: Uruk-hai IPA
Fond Memories:
American Pale Ale, tweaked from Jamil's Brewing Classic Styles page 134
Dirty Water Brown, tweaked from Jamil's Brewing Classic Styles page 141
southernoise

Postby keat » 21 Nov 2008, 13:12

keat

Postby Hunty » 21 Nov 2008, 13:25

good one keat, congratulations... a homebrewer beat the Singapore microbreweries.... how good is that ;)
Hunty

Postby southernoise » 21 Nov 2008, 13:58

What time is it? Its time to brew for a living? :wink:
On Tap:
Fond Memories:
southernoise

Postby puakz and phu » 23 Nov 2008, 00:57

Walau eh LOL I'll be your assistant for a nominal fee if you dont mind!!! (if u open shop)

Eh mind explaining the intricacies of the mash please? What gives it more body/mouthfeel/dryness? :shock: Intriguing!
Didn't get to try the cheap bastard ale though=( what to look out for in it? :D
-=Hmmm time to google mashing!=-
puakz and phu

Postby keat » 23 Nov 2008, 08:56

puakz and phu wrote:Walau eh LOL I'll be your assistant for a nominal fee if you dont mind!!! (if u open shop)

Eh mind explaining the intricacies of the mash please? What gives it more body/mouthfeel/dryness? :shock: Intriguing!
Didn't get to try the cheap bastard ale though=( what to look out for in it? :D
-=Hmmm time to google mashing!=-

Don't think will be opening shop in the near future, commercial brewing license fee is ridiculously high.

Mashing: it's hard to explain in a few paragraphs, better to read John Palmer's How to Brew http://www.howtobrew.com
in short summary, different temp does different things to the mash.
keat

Postby Hunty » 24 Nov 2008, 09:01

Don't think will be opening shop in the near future, commercial brewing license fee is ridiculously high.

think license fee and tax per litre is the least of the worries... LOL to brew commercially have to think about how its brought to the market, who will buy and what will they pay, it's all about money, and if thats all its about , then it aint no hobby anymore :(
Hunty

Postby southernoise » 24 Nov 2008, 09:22

yeah... when there's money involved, its no longer fun!
On Tap:
Fond Memories:
southernoise

Postby Hairy » 24 Nov 2008, 10:13

Well, i am sure that most microbreweries started out as homebrewers like us. That doesn't mean that the more talented among us need to start their brewery one day.

It would be cool to think that one can live off their hobby. it can be done, like what Ernest has proven but it would be a totally different game. fun or not fun depends on how you see it but I think the stress level and the amount of work to be done would be totally different. Also, brewing with a 30L fermenter is different from brewing in a 1500L fermenter. All the technical stuff will all come in and even simple stuff like racking would appear to be totally different.

Just do what you like! That's the most important I feel.
Hairy

Postby puakz and phu » 25 Nov 2008, 13:23

keat wrote:

Mashing: it's hard to explain in a few paragraphs, better to read John Palmer's How to Brew http://www.howtobrew.com
in short summary, different temp does different things to the mash.

eh sia la i thought i read b4 le but skipped that mash details chapter o.o my bad. Thanks keat...=)
puakz and phu

Return to Who's got what in their fermenter?