Who's Brewing This CNY Long Weekend?

Don't need a question to start a thread here. The weather is hot, it would be nice to know when the next brew is coming.

Who's Brewing This CNY Long Weekend?

Postby htkm » 20 Jan 2009, 08:45

Anyone brewing? Wanted to but my two cool boxes are full.
Keg:
Secondary:
Primary: Dry Stout
Brewing Soon: Pliny The Elder
htkm

Re: Who's Brewing This CNY Long Weekend?

Postby Hunty » 20 Jan 2009, 09:10

am sure you have space for a third HT ;)
The Power of Positive Drinking
Hunty

Postby craigev » 21 Jan 2009, 14:16

Im planning to brew my first 10 gallon batch now that i have a new turbo high pressure gas stove.

Probably do a ESB ale and split 5 gallons into my glass carboy and the other 5 into my new s/s 26L "stock pot" fermenter with spigot and see if theres any diff in the outcome (i doubt it). If no diff then will replace my other two glass carboys.
craigev

Postby Hunty » 21 Jan 2009, 18:27

craigev wrote:Im planning to brew my first 10 gallon batch now that i have a new turbo high pressure gas stove.

Probably do a ESB ale and split 5 gallons into my glass carboy and the other 5 into my new s/s 26L "stock pot" fermenter with spigot and see if theres any diff in the outcome (i doubt it). If no diff then will replace my other two glass carboys.

awesome.... you have the capability of mashing 10 kg grain, and a hot liquor tun for the sparewater ? cooling capacity for 10 gallons ?
Hunty

Postby craigev » 22 Jan 2009, 09:49

well Hunty, not sure yet if got enough capacity. will find out soon !

I certainly have big enough pots now:

42L s/s mash tun
37L s/s liquor tank
60L s/s kettle
50ft copper wort chiller 1/2inch
a freezer full of about 20kg ice

i dont think i could cool to lager temp tho, so im starting with an ale
craigev

Postby Hunty » 22 Jan 2009, 11:42

craigev wrote:well Hunty, not sure yet if got enough capacity. will find out soon !

I certainly have big enough pots now:

42L s/s mash tun
37L s/s liquor tank
60L s/s kettle
50ft copper wort chiller 1/2inch
a freezer full of about 20kg ice

i dont think i could cool to lager temp tho, so im starting with an ale

just at a glance, i think your boiler way too small and liquor tank probably a bit too small, and reckon 20kg ice may not cut it, but see how you go... can always have 7/11 ice on standby ;)

I've done one double batch before, but it was only a partial mash, worked ok, but I didn't boil 65 litres!

hunty
Hunty

Postby craigev » 25 Jan 2009, 15:57

So everything went well in the end.

Slight snag with a stuck mash. seems that twice as much thickness of mash bed requires larger gaps in the spigot filter. so i had to remove an inner thin mesh and leave a larger holed filter.

Otherwise great brewday, not much more work to be honest. needed a bit more time in the cooling.

Boiling was fine, filled the kettle leaving only 2 inch at top and watched like hawk for the hot break to avoid boilover.

So the boil volume was about 13 gallons = 50L.

Ended up with required approx 40L of wort , about 19-20L in each fermenter. Poss need to add another couple of litres extra next time since i really want to fill my kegs upto full 19L.
craigev

Postby Hunty » 26 Jan 2009, 08:14

craigev wrote:So everything went well in the end.

Slight snag with a stuck mash. seems that twice as much thickness of mash bed requires larger gaps in the spigot filter. so i had to remove an inner thin mesh and leave a larger holed filter.

Otherwise great brewday, not much more work to be honest. needed a bit more time in the cooling.

Boiling was fine, filled the kettle leaving only 2 inch at top and watched like hawk for the hot break to avoid boilover.

So the boil volume was about 13 gallons = 50L.

Ended up with required approx 40L of wort , about 19-20L in each fermenter. Poss need to add another couple of litres extra next time since i really want to fill my kegs upto full 19L.

v adventurous, well done Craig!

what kind of spigot filter are you using (is it the plumbers braid thingy that we all see to have adopted?) and how did you remove it at 75 deg under 10kg of mash ?

curious as to the cooling efforts, 20kb was good to get youlower than 20 deg C?
Hunty

Postby craigev » 04 Feb 2009, 15:19

yes, the filter was a plumbers toilet braid, one foot long. i recently, however, also got a bigger bazooker filter screen which is much tougher and wont squash like the plumbers braid. I did a hybrid by putting the old plumbers braid around the threaded insert and then the bazooker around that to create a course but unsquashable outer filter, and tighter filter inside to filter out the little bits of grit that otherwise would get through the bazooker filter.

So, that was the idea, works well for 5 gallon batches where i only have 4 or 5kg of grain. but for 10kg i got a stuk mash. so i had to ladel out the mash , operate on the filter by taking off the two meshes and putting back only the bazooker mesh and ladeling back the mash. Carry on draining and sparging as per normal.

used about 20kg of ice i think to drop wort to about 18degrees for pitching. took about 45 mins i think. dropped to 40 first using tap water, then the ice water.
craigev

Return to Who's got what in their fermenter?