AG Brewing in a Bag

The fine art of beer making is from ground up. Expert talk and wannabies. From mashing, sparging to full boiling.

Re: AG Brewing in a Bag

Postby spud » 18 Apr 2008, 08:53

True Hunty well be in the pudding eating at least.
Forgot about the pumping (which I havent got yet Keat but in the pipe line for next Ozzie visit)
There is an March Pump Agent here but says he doesnt have what I wanted,, queer really.

Will look at doing the RIMS system as U suggest Keat.. Three more Ales in the triakl then I will have to do something about have Stepp Mash available somehow, not all that worried with the addition of the water Hunty as long as the Mash is under Ratio at the start. My trouble is the end Brews I want which arre over the 7.0% range I will run outa space in the Mash tun.
I can always direct heat as U say..
Dreams are free..

Brewing this week end looks like a bloody fizzer as well unless I Brew all Sunday night which I might look at doing yet..

Cheers Spud
Brewing, well awaiting to be - Newcastle Nut, American Pale
Keg - Scottish 80/-, Eda's Milk Stout
Next in line - Choc /Hazelnut Porter, Dry Knickers Stout then, Classic American Pils, Kolsch.
spud

Postby keat » 18 Apr 2008, 09:28

spud wrote:True Hunty well in the pudding eating at least.
Forgot about the pumping (which I havent got yet Keat but in the pipe line for next Ozzie visit)
There is an March Pump Agent here but says he doesnt have what I wanted,, queer really.

A pump for RIMS and transferring wort would be the next upgrade, but not for a long long time..I'm probably dreaming as well . But like you said, dreams are free :mrgreen:

Brewing this week end looks like a bloody fizzer as well unless I Brew all Sunday night which I might look at doing yet..
Cheers Spud

you have to set some priorities right ;)
On Tap:Nil
Coming up: German Blonde
In fond memories: The Pursuit of Hoppyness (IBC 2007 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale (IBC 2008 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale III (Asia Beer Awards 2008 Gold)
keat

Postby Hunty » 18 Apr 2008, 10:00

well, I am brewing all Sunday, so.. get your act together :wink:
The Power of Positive Drinking
Hunty

Postby Fin » 05 Aug 2008, 15:47

sorry for digging up old thread. :oops:

For BIAB, I understand that the efficiency can be quite low. Due to the constraint of having only a 15L brew pot.
Is it possible to mash a few times. Eg, extract out 3 L of good starchy sugary juice, store it aside. And do that again to create more
juice one desired.
Any concerns for the grain extract storage condition? full boil first before putting aside? or maintaining it at 70degC and combine with the next mash, then bring to full boil?

thks for advice!
Selling off my precious collection:-- Complete keg system + Keg fridge/ lager fridge- CO2 tank- Complete fermenter systems .- 3 well built fermenter chiller .Asst of glasses, wares.. Pls email: [email protected] ( remove all 5s) sms 9One767708
Fin

Postby Hunty » 05 Aug 2008, 16:20

I see no fundamental problem with a second rinse, its akin to the sparging that we do in the conventional process.... give it a try. But don't do it at 70 degreec C ;), suggest 63-68 max is best ;)

Hunty
Hunty

Postby Fin » 07 Aug 2008, 13:40

Hunty wrote:I see no fundamental problem with a second rinse, its akin to the sparging that we do in the conventional process.... give it a try. But don't do it at 70 degreec C ;), suggest 63-68 max is best ;)

Hunty

thks for advise! I was thinking, 70degC water when used to sparge, would become about 68degC...

Regarding the issue of collecting more mash juice, supposed if I could only extract out 4L of mashed juice, to produce 8L of juice, is it possible to do that in batches? Do I have to maintain the 1st mashed juice at mash window temp to preserve it before bringing the whole combined lot to a full 1 hour boil?
Selling off my precious collection:-- Complete keg system + Keg fridge/ lager fridge- CO2 tank- Complete fermenter systems .- 3 well built fermenter chiller .Asst of glasses, wares.. Pls email: [email protected] ( remove all 5s) sms 9One767708
Fin

Postby Hunty » 07 Aug 2008, 13:57

Regarding the issue of collecting more mash juice, supposed if I could only extract out 4L of mashed juice, to produce 8L of juice, is it possible to do that in batches? Do I have to maintain the 1st mashed juice at mash window temp to preserve it before bringing the whole combined lot to a full 1 hour boil?

absolutley ok to do it in batches. In fact thats what "batch sparging" is. And no, you do not have to retain the ist juice at window temp, in fact you can start heating it in preparation for the total boil while you do your second sparge...

Hunty
Hunty

Postby Fin » 09 Aug 2008, 16:16

Hunty wrote:

absolutley ok to do it in batches. In fact thats what "batch sparging" is. And no, you do not have to retain the ist juice at window temp, in fact you can start heating it in preparation for the total boil while you do your second sparge...

Hunty

thk u sir, for the advice! 8)
I've just got hold of a 10L bucket, thinking of making a mini 6-8L ( TAD-size friendly ) partial mash + DME. If going at 4L extraction rate per batch, I'll need to do it twice. If not, I'll have to custom make a bigger brew bag to contain about >3 kg -4 kg of grains. :?
Fin

Postby layangman » 28 Aug 2008, 13:48

Just finished my BIAB Pale Ale yesterday.
My conclusions:

1) yes, it is very easy and cuts off at least half the usual time if not more.

2) On hindsight, I should have immense the drained grist bag into another pot containing 68PC to 70*C water for a final extraction. Whats' the harm? But this time round the water should be much lesser, perhaps only 4 - 5 litres, then check the OG.

The whole idea of BIAB is to cut down time and use minimum equipment. So for those trying it out, go ahead...it is not difficult at all.
layangman

Postby Fin » 31 Aug 2008, 18:45

I guess BIAB is really a very convenient way of brewing with some grains.
As I've never used convertional method ( using MLT equipment), I'm not too sure how much time one could save.

After I've tasted my prev batch of partial mash Ale, I'm convinced that either mashing some grains into a kit or brewing up
an AG is the way to go. The improvement in taste and quality is worth the investment in time and equipment, :wink:
Fin

Postby layangman » 02 Sep 2008, 11:48

Fin wrote:I guess BIAB is really a very convenient way of brewing with some grains.
As I've never used convertional method ( using MLT equipment), I'm not too sure how much time one could save.

After I've tasted my prev batch of partial mash Ale, I'm convinced that either mashing some grains into a kit or brewing up
an AG is the way to go. The improvement in taste and quality is worth the investment in time and equipment, :wink:

Fin,

I think the satisfaction in a full AG is the creation of beer from raw material to finish product...know what I mean?
layangman

Previous

Return to All Grain Brewing