First AG!

The fine art of beer making is from ground up. Expert talk and wannabies. From mashing, sparging to full boiling.

First AG!

Postby avp » 11 Jun 2008, 19:56

Taking advantage of the only thing that has dropped in price in recent days :D - Wyeast at Ibrew - I am jumping in and making my first ag this weekend. It's a limited edition Oktoberfest type - limited because (a) I wanted to start small and (b) my brew pot can only hold 15 litres! :mrgreen:

Here goes:

Batch size: 10 litres
Boil volume:12 litres

1 kg Munich malt
1 kg Vienna malt
0.5kg Pilsner malt

0.5 oz Tettnanger 3.9 AA 60 mins
0.5 oz Hallertau 5.8 AA 45 mins
0.5 oz Saaz 3.2 AA 5 mins

Wyeast Munich Lager (2308)

Estimates (obtained from the online calculator at http://beercalculus.com)
(Needed to do some quick conversions to metric)
OG:1.063
FG:1.013 - 1.016
%abv: 5.1% abv
SRM:6*
HBU:4.8
IBU:28.3
177 calories per 12 oz

Will be doing a single BIAB type mash - soak and sparge all in one. Comments from the ag gurus will be very much appreciated.
ashley
I prefer a bottle in front of me to a frontal lobotomy.
avp

Re: First AG!

Postby keat » 11 Jun 2008, 20:19

congrats on making the switch, your beer will start tasting better :D I was eyeing the munich lager yeast for an ofest, guess you beat me to it.
not just your first AG, probably the first BIAB in Singapore.
On Tap:Nil
Coming up: German Blonde
In fond memories: The Pursuit of Hoppyness (IBC 2007 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale (IBC 2008 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale III (Asia Beer Awards 2008 Gold)
keat

Postby keat » 19 Jun 2008, 17:20

Ashley, how was the brew day? Beer still fermenting?
On Tap:Nil
Coming up: German Blonde
In fond memories: The Pursuit of Hoppyness (IBC 2007 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale (IBC 2008 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale III (Asia Beer Awards 2008 Gold)
keat

Postby avp » 20 Jun 2008, 09:53

Ashley, how was the brew day? Beer still fermenting?

Keat
Thanks for asking. Quite an excercise, man. The boiling and timing and straining, and collection, and boiling again.......too long a process, lah
Managed only 1.050 for the OG, nowhere near the 1.063 estimate.
Liquid yeast took about 12 hours to show any growth in the pac, and when pitched, took another 24 hours to show any signs of fermentation - got me worried for a while. Then it took off with a vengence!
Still bubbling after 5 days at about 15*C(+-), albeit very slowly, will check OG this weekend.
Hope the beer justifies the effort - otherwise it's back to kits and extracts for me.
avp

Postby Hunty » 22 Jun 2008, 19:00

G'day Ash.. hows this baby coming ?

I notice thats a pretty small brew volume but I am assuming experimental for the first AG... and as you now know its quite alot of work.

Still , the recipe looks great and I hope that you will see the difference, remember with this one you know exactly what is going into your beer... right from the grain up. ;)

Did you do a starter ? I f not am not surprised it took a while, especially with lagers...

Hunty
The Power of Positive Drinking
Hunty

Postby avp » 25 Jun 2008, 20:26

Hi Hunty
It is with a very heavy heart that I have to report a complete disaster for this first ag! :oops: After five days of fairly good fermentation, the SG stayed at 1.018 for another four days and on on the day after that, the wort tasted like weak vinegar (maybe even "winey"), and I knew it had all gone wrong somehow, somewhere. :( Given the time and effort this experiment took, it will be sometime before I try and pull off this stunt again.
However, I soothed myself with a three day stay at Berjaya Resort at Tioman, and spent most of the time drowning my sorrows with 8.5% abv Hoegarden Grand Cru that sold for RM$5.00 (just over S$2.10) a bottle. It really helped. :mrgreen:
For the time being, consider me a kit and/or extract man - playing with the minimum amount of grains as possible.
cheers
ash
avp

Postby Hunty » 26 Jun 2008, 07:36

avp wrote:Hi Hunty
It is with a very heavy heart that I have to report a complete disaster for this first ag! :oops: After five days of fairly good fermentation, the SG stayed at 1.018 for another four days and on on the day after that, the wort tasted like weak vinegar (maybe even "winey"), and I knew it had all gone wrong somehow, somewhere. :( Given the time and effort this experiment took, it will be sometime before I try and pull off this stunt again.
However, I soothed myself with a three day stay at Berjaya Resort at Tioman, and spent most of the time drowning my sorrows with 8.5% abv Hoegarden Grand Cru that sold for RM$5.00 (just over S$2.10) a bottle. It really helped. :mrgreen:
For the time being, consider me a kit and/or extract man - playing with the minimum amount of grains as possible.
cheers
ash

Hey Ash, thats a shame. If its any consolation my first AG was also a disaster, but I am onto number 58 now and I have learned something with every one. You have obviously got a bacterial infection in there somehow.

Alot of the time this can happen in the cooling phase. How did you cool the wort after it was boiled ?
Hunty

Postby avp » 26 Jun 2008, 12:28

Alot of the time this can happen in the cooling phase. How did you cool the wort after it was boiled ?

Yep, I suspect that an unwanted nasty got in there somehow. As it was a small brew, put the whole thing into the fridge till the temp dropped to about 22*C. Have cooled many a k&k the same way tho'.
Anyways, have cleaned out the fermenter and will try another k&k sometime next week. Fingers crossed.
cheers
ash
avp

Postby Hunty » 01 Jul 2008, 08:06

avp wrote:

Yep, I suspect that an unwanted nasty got in there somehow. As it was a small brew, put the whole thing into the fridge till the temp dropped to about 22*C. Have cooled many a k&k the same way tho'.
Anyways, have cleaned out the fermenter and will try another k&k sometime next week. Fingers crossed.
cheers
ash

Hey Ash, with AG I think its just a matter of the process,and while it does take a bit of time, ie 5-6 hours , it is not necessarily 5-6 hours of work. You just have to do a few things maybe every 1/2 hour to an hour or so. Plenty of time for breakfast, lunch, reading the paper or even a homebrew or three. :D

If you have some spare time early one Sunday, let me know and I will take you through it ;)

Hunty
Hunty

Postby avp » 01 Jul 2008, 09:51

If you have some spare time early one Sunday, let me know and I will take you through it

Very grateful for the offer, Hunty, will keep in touch to take you up on it.
ash
avp

Return to All Grain Brewing