Efficiency

The fine art of beer making is from ground up. Expert talk and wannabies. From mashing, sparging to full boiling.

Efficiency

Postby Hunty » 05 Nov 2008, 11:34

I recently bought one of Raymond's 3- roller crankenstein's and while I have a relatively fine crush I am calculating efficiencies like 84% which seems extraordinarily high to me...

So if LORD Keat , master of efficiency or anyone else can advise if my calculation is correct, here is my data:

Volume of runoff: 32 litres
SG of runoff: 1.040
Temp SG measured: 25 deg C
Weight of grain: 5.0 kg
Grain type: Bairds Pale Ale

Cheers
Hunty
The Power of Positive Drinking
Hunty

Re: Efficiency

Postby htkm » 05 Nov 2008, 14:29

Hi Hunty,
Mate need your break down of your grain bill. Anyway this is a rough one. Based on the asumption that your 5kg of grain is all 2-row pale malt with extract ppg of 38 points.

Using Palmer's method, PPG (Points/Pounds/Gallons(US) to find effciency.
First calculate points.
40 points (Your OG) x 8.45gal(32Lt) = 338points.
Next Points/pound: 338points/11Lb(5kg) = 30.72. Take it as 31ppg.
So your efficiency: 31/38 x 100% = 81.5789
Round it off to 82% efficiency.

HT

Hunty wrote:I recently bought one of Raymond's 3- roller crankenstein's and while I have a relatively fine crush I am calculating efficiencies like 84% which seems extraordinarily high to me...

So if LORD Keat , master of efficiency or anyone else can advise if my calculation is correct, here is my data:

Cheers
Hunty
Keg:
Secondary:
Primary: Dry Stout
Brewing Soon: Pliny The Elder
htkm

Postby Hunty » 05 Nov 2008, 17:42

hey thanks for the check HT.

I am a simple person so I use a simple grain bill. I try to keep it simple to identify key flavours then i add bits in subsequent brews. So for last brew was just s straight boring 5 kg of UK (Bairds) pale ale malt.

I was being lazy and using the beer recipator's calculator which adjusts for the temperature at which the SG is measured at.
Hunty

Postby keat » 09 Nov 2008, 23:40

Hunty wrote:I recently bought one of Raymond's 3- roller crankenstein's and while I have a relatively fine crush I am calculating efficiencies like 84% which seems extraordinarily high to me...

Cheers
Hunty

82-84% sounds ok to me. I was getting 80% from my crush, so if yours is finer, it's not impossible to achieve. How certain are you about the runoff volume? For me, usually it is a bit of estimation since I'm measuring in the boil kettle - mine was calibrated at 30L, anything above is estimated :D
On Tap:Nil
Coming up: German Blonde
In fond memories: The Pursuit of Hoppyness (IBC 2007 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale (IBC 2008 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale III (Asia Beer Awards 2008 Gold)
keat

Postby Hunty » 10 Nov 2008, 07:30

How certain are you about the runoff volume?

Preboil volume I calculated using measured internal diameter and height in my boiler as accurately as I can. Post boil, well I squeeze as much juice as I can out of the hopsock then measure the leftover volume and add that to what I have runoff into the fermenter, but of course there are errors. As such I am confident that my efficiency is within 2% of what I calculate and thats good enough for me.

As you know you can tune the volumes of your equipment to get just the right amount of runoff each time. I know pretty much exactly how much sparge water to use so that for the final batch sparge that the mash tune runs empty pretty much bang on 32 litres collected into the boiler. (Having said that am using two pots for sparge heating now, would prefer one more pot that can handle at least 25 litres...)
Hunty

Return to All Grain Brewing