Moving to Singapore; Where to get hoppy beers?

Here is where we drink and tell. Whether its a new drinking hole or new beer, tell us your opinions and recommendations. Lets not forget about food pairing too. Anything to help soothe another pint down the throat.

Moving to Singapore; Where to get hoppy beers?

Postby homebrewjapan » 19 Jun 2009, 17:38

Hey guys,

My first post here. I'm currently living in Tokyo, Japan but will move to Singapore later this year. My question is this: Where can I buy hoppy beers in Singapore? Both bars and take away.

From my research so far on websites (beerclub, etc), I've seen there's a fair number of Belgian imports and UK imports, but I've not seen much in the way of IPA, etc. In Japan I do a lot of homebrewing, a fair amount of which is IPA - I also seek out and visit the various bars, outlets, and breweries that make/sell Japanese and international "craft" beers (see blog link in signature). While I can make IPA myself, it would be good to know there are places in Sing that sell commercial hoppy beers.

Hope you can help point me in the right direction!
homebrewjapan

Re: Moving to Singapore; Where to get hoppy beers?

Postby keat » 20 Jun 2009, 12:21

homebrewjapan wrote:Hey guys,

My first post here. I'm currently living in Tokyo, Japan but will move to Singapore later this year. My question is this: Where can I buy hoppy beers in Singapore? Both bars and take away.

From my research so far on websites (beerclub, etc), I've seen there's a fair number of Belgian imports and UK imports, but I've not seen much in the way of IPA, etc. In Japan I do a lot of homebrewing, a fair amount of which is IPA - I also seek out and visit the various bars, outlets, and breweries that make/sell Japanese and international "craft" beers (see blog link in signature). While I can make IPA myself, it would be good to know there are places in Sing that sell commercial hoppy beers.

Hope you can help point me in the right direction!

Hey homebrewjapan, welcome to the board
I enjoyed reading your blog, wish I had found it earlier before I've visited Japan, was thinking microbreweries are rare there.
In Singapore, we have quite a number of microbreweries where you can get hoppy beers - Brewerkz, Pump room, Red Dot (hoppy summer ale!), and there's another one opening soon, just next to Red Dot. Then there's the local commercial craft brewery - Archipalego with their pale ale.
On Tap:Nil
Coming up: German Blonde
In fond memories: The Pursuit of Hoppyness (IBC 2007 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale (IBC 2008 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale III (Asia Beer Awards 2008 Gold)
keat

Postby homebrewjapan » 22 Jun 2009, 09:10

Keat,
Thanks for that - it's good to know. I've been to Brewerkz before - have not tried the other places.
Any place where I can get takeaway bottles of American imports?
homebrewjapan

Postby keat » 25 Jun 2009, 21:17

homebrewjapan wrote:Keat,
Thanks for that - it's good to know. I've been to Brewerkz before - have not tried the other places.
Any place where I can get takeaway bottles of American imports?

You can get Flying Dog (in Carrefour?) and Rogue (not sure where). I seldom buy beer since I've homebrewing :lol:
If you like hoppy beers, try the aussie favourite - Little Creatures Pale Ale. Get it at Jones the Grocer or Bottles & Bottles.
On Tap:Nil
Coming up: German Blonde
In fond memories: The Pursuit of Hoppyness (IBC 2007 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale (IBC 2008 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale III (Asia Beer Awards 2008 Gold)
keat

Return to Beer Tasting and Food