Little Creatures in SG!

Here is where we drink and tell. Whether its a new drinking hole or new beer, tell us your opinions and recommendations. Lets not forget about food pairing too. Anything to help soothe another pint down the throat.

Little Creatures in SG!

Postby southernoise » 30 Dec 2007, 22:00

Was at 879 Cherry Ave, Bukit Timah Road to check out Smokinn frogz Kitchen helmed by Chef Alfie of Suria's Selebriti Chef... and found Little Creatures Pale Ale and Bright Ale at the pub Bar Bar Black Sheep on the same premise.

I can only say that Little Creatures Pale Ale is one bloody yummy beer. Hopheads will love it.

They have Duvel, Rogers, Boddingtons, Konig, Hoegarrden and a few others on top of the regular stuff.

Oh and the food there is pretty good too. Had their onion soup which was very nice and spicy lamb marquez aka lamb sausages which was excellent as well. Go check it out!
On Tap:
Coming up: Uruk-hai IPA
Fond Memories:
American Pale Ale, tweaked from Jamil's Brewing Classic Styles page 134
Dirty Water Brown, tweaked from Jamil's Brewing Classic Styles page 141
southernoise

Re: Little Creatures in SG!

Postby spud » 22 Feb 2008, 22:12

They call it Little Critters in Perth, has a huge following.
Really nice drop isnt it, there are a few clone recipes out there that someone has dreamed up so maybe ........
But be able to tell U after Monday next if they have still kept the quality up.. :lol:
cheers spud
Brewing, well awaiting to be - Newcastle Nut, American Pale
Keg - Scottish 80/-, Eda's Milk Stout
Next in line - Choc /Hazelnut Porter, Dry Knickers Stout then, Classic American Pils, Kolsch.
spud

Postby spud » 23 Feb 2008, 15:13

Keat.
Have just gone over your Brewery Trip to good old Perth, U did very well with where U went.
Looks like SG is getting a fair way towards being the Craft brewers in Asia as well. what with newest brewerys opening every other week.
U actually found me old mate TWOC,, was Roy there or was his daughter in residence. He is a great Brewer and has history that would keep anyone listerning for days. Someone asked about inside TWOC shop pics, see what I can do next week. Jump onto his site and look at some of the Gear,, note the Brewing Kits name starts with D,, thats what Roy reminds me of,, the Brewers of Hillbillies time.. has what I would say is the best supply of Malt ingredients in the state, so much so that places like LC pop on in when their suppliers are short,, doesnt mean to say that he passes on LC secrets but there is a Brewer that is in XXXXXXX brewers club that works at LC.. interesting thread U mentioned re LCPA Keat,, liked the input fron LC Brewery,, as we all know a fine drop,, see if I dont taste that when I get back,, LOL :lol:

southernoise
Will be visiting your Smokinn frogz Kitchen after next weekend with luck
Dont mind any of the Beers on offer actually
Cheers Spud.
Next in line - Choc /Hazelnut Porter, Dry Knickers Stout then, Classic American Pils, Kolsch.
spud

Postby keat » 23 Feb 2008, 18:50

spud wrote:Keat.
Have just gone over your Brewery Trip to good old Perth, U did very well with where U went.
Looks like SG is getting a fair way towards being the Craft brewers in Asia as well. what with newest brewerys opening every other week.
U actually found me old mate TWOC,, was Roy there or was his daughter in residence. He is a great Brewer and has history that would keep anyone listerning for days. Someone asked about inside TWOC shop pics, see what I can do next week. Jump onto his site and look at some of the Gear,, note the Brewing Kits name starts with D,, thats what Roy reminds me of,, the Brewers of Hillbillies time.. has what I would say is the best supply of Malt ingredients in the state, so much so that places like LC pop on in when their suppliers are short,, doesnt mean to say that he passes on LC secrets but there is a Brewer that is in XXXXXXX brewers club that works at LC.. interesting thread U mentioned re LCPA Keat,, liked the input fron LC Brewery,, as we all know a fine drop,, see if I dont taste that when I get back,, LOL :lol:

southernoise
Cheers Spud.

been to Little Critters on 3 separate occasions, always a must-go stop for me when in Perth. We'll usually allocate at least 1 night stay in Freo just to have a proper sample of their beers. Last I was there, the bright ale seems to be better than the pale, the pale seems harsher now.

I was in TWOC once, the lady in the shop wasn't very friendly. She was following me around the shop with a very stern face, and was generally making us feel uncomfortable. Didn't buy many things, and left after a short browse.
On Tap:Nil
Coming up: German Blonde
In fond memories: The Pursuit of Hoppyness (IBC 2007 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale (IBC 2008 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale III (Asia Beer Awards 2008 Gold)
keat

Postby southernoise » 23 Feb 2008, 19:54

spud wrote: southernoise
Cheers Spud.

try their burger spud, pretty good value for $ at only $12. :mrgreen:
On Tap:
Fond Memories:
southernoise

Postby Hunty » 02 Mar 2008, 09:18

Brewerks also sell it in the bottle if you fancy something not like Brewerks beers :o
The Power of Positive Drinking
Hunty

Postby southernoise » 03 Mar 2008, 08:55

Hunty wrote:Brewerks also sell it in the bottle if you fancy something not like Brewerks beers :o

but why make a trip to brewerkz and not drink brewerkz.... :lol: but thanks for the info!
On Tap:
Fond Memories:
southernoise

Postby Hunty » 06 Mar 2008, 09:01

southernoise wrote:
Hunty wrote:Brewerks also sell it in the bottle if you fancy something not like Brewerks beers :o

but why make a trip to brewerkz and not drink brewerkz.... :lol: but thanks for the info!

hmm, to try Little Creatures beer perhaps ? Mind you, at more than 12 bux ++ for a 330 ml bottle, you have every reason to prefer brewerks .... There is something unique about the little creatures bright ale and ple ale though. Would love to know the recipe.
Hunty

Postby southernoise » 06 Mar 2008, 22:32

Hunty wrote:
southernoise wrote:

hmm, to try Little Creatures beer perhaps ? Mind you, at more than 12 bux ++ for a 330 ml bottle, you have every reason to prefer brewerks .... There is something unique about the little creatures bright ale and ple ale though. Would love to know the recipe.

you can get it 1/2 the price at bukit timah. :)
On Tap:
Fond Memories:
southernoise

Postby Hunty » 07 Mar 2008, 06:50

you can get it 1/2 the price at bukit timah.

you mean the recipe ? :mrgreen: just kidding

but it is a top drop. hard to describe the taste, can only liken it to a subtle honey essence, though I doubt they would use it in their brewing process.
Hunty

Postby southernoise » 07 Mar 2008, 08:54

Hunty wrote:
you can get it 1/2 the price at bukit timah.

you mean the recipe ? :mrgreen: just kidding

but it is a top drop. hard to describe the taste, can only liken it to a subtle honey essence, though I doubt they would use it in their brewing process.

damn right it is, I'm craving for it like right now in the morning when I should be drinking coffee... :mrgreen:
On Tap:
Fond Memories:
southernoise

Smokinn Frogz Kitchen

Postby spud » 11 Mar 2008, 11:39

Bar Bar Black Sheep was that the name of the Bar interesting.
Went to your Smokinn frogz Kitchen on Sunday evening , should be called Smokinn Glands (of the female version) OMG they were there all loaded up and pointing to the sky.. me drinking buddy was beside himself..
Anyway as previously discribed, quite a few imported beers on offer, Little Creatures was popular by the lack of bottles in the Cooler but would say the Draft beers were getting huge hits. Hoegarrden was being served in what looked like pint + glasses, so big that the ladies had to use two hands to pick up.
We tried the first two rows in the Cooler before we got fussy and complained that the Cooler wasnt cold enough.
Found our legs and woddled off in search of some Curry Fish head,, now that was really worth the $500 Cab fare from Tampines..
So if U are looking for some eye exercise, Frogs tit sorry Smokinn Frogz Kitchen. Dont U just love Eye Candy..
:wink: Cheers Spud
spud

Re: Smokinn Frogz Kitchen

Postby southernoise » 11 Mar 2008, 12:56

spud wrote:Bar Bar Black Sheep was that the name of the Bar interesting.
Went to your Smokinn frogz Kitchen on Sunday evening , should be called Smokinn Glands (of the female version) OMG they were there all loaded up and pointing to the sky.. me drinking buddy was beside himself..
Anyway as previously discribed, quite a few imported beers on offer, Little Creatures was popular by the lack of bottles in the Cooler but would say the Draft beers were getting huge hits. Hoegarrden was being served in what looked like pint + glasses, so big that the ladies had to use two hands to pick up.
We tried the first two rows in the Cooler before we got fussy and complained that the Cooler wasnt cold enough.
Found our legs and woddled off in search of some Curry Fish head,, now that was really worth the $500 Cab fare from Tampines..
So if U are looking for some eye exercise, Frogs tit sorry Smokinn Frogz Kitchen. Dont U just love Eye Candy..
:wink: Cheers Spud

hahahahhahaa..... i know whose tits you were looking at!

yes it seems that they are having issues with the fridge. Was there last Saturday and the beer was not cold enough. Hope they're going to sort it out.
On Tap:
Fond Memories:
southernoise

Bar Bar Black Sheep

Postby Raymond » 11 Mar 2008, 19:23

I was there 4 times in the last 2 weeks. The last time happened to be last evening :lol:

Attractive beer prices aside ($7 a pint), GREAT place I must say. Charming actually. I have tried all the beers, and now I just drink Stella all night all.
There are 2 stalls, Northern Indian Cuisine and Western Food. Both are value for you $$.

Speaking of Little Creatures, I kind of feel that the Pale Ale, taste very much like Canadian Blonde with Cascade, and the Bright Ale has strong note of Amarillo. I am going to brew another Blonde to confirm that.
Raymond
Site Admin

Re: Bar Bar Black Sheep

Postby southernoise » 11 Mar 2008, 22:45

Raymond wrote:I was there 4 times in the last 2 weeks. The last time happened to be last evening :lol:

Attractive beer prices aside ($7 a pint), GREAT place I must say. Charming actually. I have tried all the beers, and now I just drink Stella all night all.
There are 2 stalls, Northern Indian Cuisine and Western Food. Both are value for you $$.

Speaking of Little Creatures, I kind of feel that the Pale Ale, taste very much like Canadian Blonde with Cascade, and the Bright Ale has strong note of Amarillo. I am going to brew another Blonde to confirm that.

the bright ale is said to have Saaz in it BUT i can't taste it. It felt more citrusy/grapefruit than spicy saaz. oh wait....

Little Creatures “Bright” is a top fermented uniquely new Australian ale. As the name suggests, “Bright” is a filtered beer with a striking golden clarity in the glass. We use 4 luscious malts including Pale, Carapils, Wheat and Vienna. The beer is full flavoured whilst soft and easy on the palate making it very approachable. The alcohol is 4.5% alc/vol. Bitterness is slightly lower than our highly charged Pale Ale and is accentuated enough to balance the smooth, malty character. The hop characteristics in “Bright” is derived from the use of highly aromatic New Zealand B Saaz Flowers as well as varieties from the North West of USA. Clean, distinctive, full-flavoured, smooth and very more-ish!!
On Tap:
Fond Memories:
southernoise

Next

Return to Beer Tasting and Food