sausage casing

Here is where we drink and tell. Whether its a new drinking hole or new beer, tell us your opinions and recommendations. Lets not forget about food pairing too. Anything to help soothe another pint down the throat.

sausage casing

Postby keat » 19 May 2008, 18:16

Not really beer related, food related question - anyone know where to get sausage casings locally? Thinking of homemade sausages...

well, I guess i can mention beer-infused sausages, now it's beer-related :lol:
On Tap:Nil
Coming up: German Blonde
In fond memories: The Pursuit of Hoppyness (IBC 2007 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale (IBC 2008 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale III (Asia Beer Awards 2008 Gold)
keat

Re: sausage casing

Postby spud » 20 May 2008, 07:49

now we are talking the real talk..
Can mail order thats the only place I know of..
cheers spud
Brewing, well awaiting to be - Newcastle Nut, American Pale
Keg - Scottish 80/-, Eda's Milk Stout
Next in line - Choc /Hazelnut Porter, Dry Knickers Stout then, Classic American Pils, Kolsch.
spud

Postby Hunty » 20 May 2008, 08:28

i'm on board.... brilliant idea.

I do believe there are machines you can buy that do the stuffing, so to speak... no doubt you guys have googled but I want one of these:

http://www.sausagemania.com/tutorial.html

and THE site for everything you need seems to be here, casings, kits, stuffers the lot. Quite like the 15 lb model.... LOL better start saving!

http://www.sausagemaker.com/

Hunty
The Power of Positive Drinking
Hunty

Postby keat » 20 May 2008, 10:54

Hunty wrote:i'm on board.... brilliant idea.

I do believe there are machines you can buy that do the stuffing, so to speak... no doubt you guys have googled but I want one of these:

http://www.sausagemania.com/tutorial.html

and THE site for everything you need seems to be here, casings, kits, stuffers the lot. Quite like the 15 lb model.... LOL better start saving!

http://www.sausagemaker.com/

Hunty

I think I'll just be happy with the 3lb or 5lb model. 15lb is a lot of sausages! :shock:
In fond memories: The Pursuit of Hoppyness (IBC 2007 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale (IBC 2008 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale III (Asia Beer Awards 2008 Gold)
keat

Postby Hunty » 20 May 2008, 10:59

thats true actually... 5lb then, stainless steel, too bad they have no stock!
Hunty

Postby keat » 20 May 2008, 11:35

What about a mincer + stuffer 2-in-1..
keat

Postby Hunty » 20 May 2008, 11:43

now that is cheaper... but would prefer a non electric version, crackenstein would surely be just as easy for a few kilos and far less to go wrong.... any Aus sources you can find ?
Hunty

Postby keat » 20 May 2008, 12:02

Hunty wrote:now that is cheaper... but would prefer a non electric version, crackenstein would surely be just as easy for a few kilos and far less to go wrong.... any Aus sources you can find ?

Here's a manual stuffer, no mincing though. I do recall, Carrefour sells an electric mincer, not sure if it has a stuffer attachment. For manual ones, might be worth a try looking at the Temple st stores..
keat

Postby keat » 20 May 2008, 15:39

looks like everything can be bought on ebay
keat

Postby keat » 23 May 2008, 17:33

Did some googling and browsing....casing is available in Singapore, anyone wants to split a 90meter casing? Can also be ordered from Oz.
keat

Postby keat » 23 Jun 2008, 13:18

Bought the casing and made a batch of sauages over the weekend. Not as difficult as I imagined, and it's like brewing your first beer :D

keat

Postby Hunty » 23 Jun 2008, 19:24

Now I bet those will go well on the barby man.... ;)

for added enjoyment could I suggest a home made boerewors recipe... her'es just one for good measure.

Hunty

http://www.biltongmakers.com/biltong17_ ... es_01.html

Traditional Boerewors Recipe

INGREDIENTS

1 kg beef.
1 kg mutton.
1 kg veal or lean pork.
500 gr spek (firm pork fat from under the skin).
25 ml salt.
5 ml ground black pepper.
15 ml corriander, singed and ground (see hints and tips).
1 ml ground cloves.
2 ml nutmeg powder.
125 ml brown vinegar.
25 ml brandy (optional).
25 ml masala (optional).
200 gr wide sausage casings.

(If you want to dry your wors (droë wors) it is advisable to get narrow sausage casings).

METHOD

Cube all meat and spek.
Mix together thoroughly and mince coarsely.
Place meat in large bowl.
Add all dry spices, vinegar and brandy (if used).
Mix together lightly with a two pronged fork.
Place in fridge for +/- 2 hours to blend flavours.
Soak casings in water during this period.
Fit casings to sausage maker and fill with mixture.
Do not over- or under-stuff.

VARIATION

Many purists prefer not to add the cubed spek with the meat before mincing.
They prefer to add it during the mixing process.
In this case make sure that your spek is finely cubed.
Hunty

Postby keat » 23 Jun 2008, 21:06

Hunty wrote:Now I bet those will go well on the barby man.... ;)

for added enjoyment could I suggest a home made boerewors recipe... her'es just one for good measure.

that looks like an interesting recipe, but I'm wondering where to get hold of Spek (and feeling squeamish about the fats at the same time). That nutmeg is powerful stuff, have to use sparingly.
keat

Postby Hunty » 24 Jun 2008, 07:43

yes i knew "spek" would raise a question.

now we are beginning to learn what goes in the sausages we eat... :o

I think initially I would substitute a fatty pork meat like belly in there.... see how that goes.

on the nutmeg, this is traditionally a very spicy sausage...

I understand there are a million variations, so here's another one, that looks simpler and probably more healthy:

BOEREWORS
Farmers Sausage
SOUTH AFRICA

South African Boerewors recipes can be numbered in their hundreds as each proud cook tries to produce a better, tastier sausage. In times past each farmer's wife had her own closely guarded Boerewors recipe. These Secret Boerewors Recipes may have differed only in the amount of garlic or nutmeg used, or may have introduced other ingredients such as tomatoes or tomato sauce. The Boerewors recipe given here is for the basic, original boerewors, with suggestions as to how you can ring the changes.

INGREDIENTS

· 3 lb beef
· 3 lb pork
· 1 lb bacon
· ½ cup red wine vinegar
· 1 clove garlic
· 4 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
· 3 to 3 ½ oz sausage casing
· 2 tbsp salt
· 1 tsp ground pepper
· 2 tbsp ground coriander
· ½ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
· ½ tsp ground dried thyme
· ½ tsp ground allspice
· ¼ tsp ground cloves

Raw Boerewors, ready for the braai (BBQ)

METHOD
Dice the bacon into pieces not larger than 1 inch
Cut the beef and pork meat into 1 to 1 ½ inch cubes. Mix it well with all the other ingredients except the sausage casing.
Grind the meat using a medium-coarse grinding plate.

Fill the sausage casings firmly, but not too tightly with the meat mixture.

Refrigerate for 24 hours before using. Boerewors can be kept for a week or for 3 months if frozen

BOEREWORS can be fried, grilled or barbecued over coals. Before cooking prick the skin with a fork in a number of places to let the fat escape as the wors (sausage) cooks.

Makes 6 to 7 lbs

Although traditionally Boerewors is made with a combination of pork and beef it can be made in a beef only version, but add 2 teaspoons oil or fat for each 1lb of beef, to ensure the finished result is not too dry.

You can experiment with the filling and resultant taste, of your boerewors, by adding different combinations of spices, tomato paste, onions, chili's, tomato ketchup or whatever other strongly flavored ingredient you fancy.

It was and still is, a point of honor with farmers wives and butchers not to add breadcrumbs or soya to bulk up the meat filling.

Starting with the basic Pork/Beef filling you can end up with some incredibly delicious boerewors. You will soon find this becoming an absolute favorite at BBQ's.
Hunty

Postby keat » 24 Jun 2008, 13:55

Hunty wrote:yes i knew "spek" would raise a question.

now we are beginning to learn what goes in the sausages we eat... :o

I think initially I would substitute a fatty pork meat like belly in there.... see how that goes.

on the nutmeg, this is traditionally a very spicy sausage...

I understand there are a million variations, so here's another one, that looks simpler and probably more healthy:

hmmm 1lb of bacon is not really that healthy....but interesting idea to throw in some bacon for additional flavor. Maybe cut down the amount for an even healthier version.
keat

Next

Return to Beer Tasting and Food