sausage casing

Here is where we drink and tell. Whether its a new drinking hole or new beer, tell us your opinions and recommendations. Lets not forget about food pairing too. Anything to help soothe another pint down the throat.

Re: sausage casing

Postby Hunty » 24 Jun 2008, 17:16

hmmm 1lb of bacon is not really that healthy....but interesting idea to throw in some bacon for additional flavor. Maybe cut down the amount for an even healthier version.

noted, but I juz love bacon I think ;)
The Power of Positive Drinking
Hunty

Postby spud » 21 Jul 2008, 19:34

Hi there U budding Sausae Makers.
Well One a maker & the other a dicers smoker if my memory serves me right..
Just knew U's would end up discussing the other bed mate to BBQ & Beer Food. The great old snarl'r or snag as Hunty would know them from Ozland.

If anyone is heading down the road for the manual stuffer 5KG max limit count me in as well.
Mincing, itsnt a real problem with the amounts anyone is likely to be able to afford to be making here in good old Sing.
By the By
Made an interesting Seafood Sausage last night for dinner & was delighted with the effort...Boss cocky even looked for more
No casing or stuffer, just a cling wrap wad and tied to form links then poached, out of the cling wrap, egg wash, crumbed and shellow fryied to crisp the crumbs,, wonderful..
Have been trying recipes for yonks as "Rissoles" & have quite a few that would pass the Lager & Smokieman's approval for sure..
But alas time isnt there again for samples Buddy's.... .

Anyhelp U need info etc was a dab hand when I was growning up.. can even link 6 to a Lb ( well thats what it used to be in the dark ages) LOL..
Happy linking & cheers
spud
Brewing, well awaiting to be - Newcastle Nut, American Pale
Keg - Scottish 80/-, Eda's Milk Stout
Next in line - Choc /Hazelnut Porter, Dry Knickers Stout then, Classic American Pils, Kolsch.
spud

Postby keat » 21 Jul 2008, 21:18

spud wrote:Made an interesting Seafood Sausage last night for dinner & was delighted with the effort...Boss cocky even looked for more
No casing or stuffer, just a cling wrap wad and tied to form links then poached, out of the cling wrap, egg wash, crumbed and shellow fryied to crisp the crumbs,, wonderful..

Hey Spuddy, that sounds like an interesting recipe, care to share?
Was wondering what defines a sausage, because one may call it a seafood stick instead of a sausage, since it's crumbed and fried.
On Tap:Nil
Coming up: German Blonde
In fond memories: The Pursuit of Hoppyness (IBC 2007 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale (IBC 2008 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale III (Asia Beer Awards 2008 Gold)
keat

Postby spud » 22 Jul 2008, 22:56

Hi there Keat,
For me Sausage is some meat ( any meat really that has been mixed ground or what ever and at some stage in its live is restrained in a case or tube of sorts :lol:
So my Seafood things started off incased so its a bloody Saus Sause OK :lol:
So if the mixture is formed into balls, patties or what every then thats them as different arent they, Rissoles even :wink:

Here is what I used - modified as shown but if U have casings, (Hog or Lamb then these will be a breeze buddy)

Seafood Sausage

This sausage is a delicate emulsified mixture, encased in plastic wrap for poaching.
Do not over poach or you will create a broken mess.
Ingredients:
• 8 ounces scallops, patted dry ( I minched 1/2 of that, rest chopped and added last)
• 8 ounces peeled and deveined (uncooked) Prawns (same as above)
• 2 large egg whites (used one full )
• 2 cups heavy cream (see below)
• Kosher salt
• Freshly cracked black pepper
• 1 pound cooked lobster meat, preferably from the tail and claws, cut into 1/2-inch pieces ( Raw Bass was treated as Scallops & Prawns)
• 2 teaspoons snipped chives
• 1 tablespoon tarragon leaves ( added chopped green chillie to my taste..)
I used one big Sea Bass fillet in stead of Lobster. Boss Cocky would have killed me if I bought real loyster
Used one only egg as well..1 cup cream with 1/4 cream cheese mixed in, put liquid in whizz and added 1/2 slice of bread, then little amounts till stiffened a bit. Needs to be stiff but still liquid..

Directions:
For those without Casing its tricky but worth the effort.
Have ready a large pastry bag with a tip/opening of no more than 3/4 inch and some 12-inch-wide plastic wrap, preferably wrap that is heat-safe.
Combine the scallops and shrimp, Bass ( half only) in the bowl of a food processor; puree for 2 to 3 minutes, until fairly smooth. Use a flexible spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the egg whites (egg) and puree for 1 minute to mix well, then add the cream in increments, mixing each for 15 to 20 seconds. After each addition, use the spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl so all ingredients are blended thoroughly. Be careful not to overblend the mixture, which will break the mixture. Add cream cheese & bread, season with salt and pepper to taste.
Transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl and carefully fold in the lobster ( Bass), chopped Scallops, chopped Prawns, chives and tarragon ( didnt use as couldnt find any in cupboard) to form the seafood sausage mixture. Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary.
Fill the pastry bag with the seafood sausage mixture. Pull out about 15 inches of plastic wrap toward you on the countertop, leaving about a 2-inch margin of plastic wrap hanging over the edge of the counter. Starting 1 inch from the edge of the counter, squeeze out a parallel, horizontal line of mixture, leaving a 1 1/2-inch margin of plastic wrap on the left and right.
Pull the 2 inches of plastic wrap over the line of sausage mixture. Form the seafood sausage using the plastic wrap to press it back into a compact roll, pressing in from the ends as you work to keep the sausage tight and free of air pockets. Fold the outer edges and finish rolling with the remaining plastic wrap.
After the sausage is completely rolled up, pinch the middle and twist, creating two 5-inch links. (At this point, the sausages can be refrigerated for 1 to 2 days or poached immediately.)
Bring a large pan of water to below boiling like baby bottle temp. Just not boiling thats all. Add 4 to 6 seafood sausages and poach for 10 to 12 minutes, until barely firm. (At this point, the sausage can be cooled slightly, then refrigerated in its plastic wrap for about 5 days.

If thats to much, just make into round balls wrapped in Wrap flatten to look like heads of cheese and poach the same..

When ready to serve, cut the plastic; the sausage will ease out of its plastic wrap. Or in Keats case cut off casing if U want if not just shollow fry casing and all. Only if U want delicate crumbed texture - roll in egg wash then bread crumbs, brown till crusp all over ,, then get on your knees and thank your mother for the rabbits.LOL.. ( old story, Hunty might know this one..)
Bet U love them.
Serve immediately. but save one for me..
cheers Spud
Brewing, well awaiting to be - Newcastle Nut, American Pale
Keg - Scottish 80/-, Eda's Milk Stout
Next in line - Choc /Hazelnut Porter, Dry Knickers Stout then, Classic American Pils, Kolsch.
spud

Previous

Return to Beer Tasting and Food