Beer - Man on the Street Style

Here is where we drink and tell. Whether its a new drinking hole or new beer, tell us your opinions and recommendations. Lets not forget about food pairing too. Anything to help soothe another pint down the throat.

Beer - Man on the Street Style

Postby Harry » 11 Aug 2008, 21:23

It is not a standard practice to drink really ICE cold beer (sub zero tiger anyone??) because it is said to numb the tongue so much that it tastes nothing more like a refreshing carbonated drink. Ice cubes are also not usually added because it is said to dilute the flavour of the beer. These are very good reasons for us to drink beer the way it is considered 'correct' by beer 'experts' and enthusiasts.

Similarly for wine, we do not usually chill red wine because it is said that it is not 'proper' to do so.

I have a very serious question in my head. Visit any kopitiam or hawker centre after dinner time and you will see tables of uncles / aunties who drink beer is frosted mugs, add ice to their beers and do all sorts of things that beer enthusiasts will scoff at. Heck, I even heard of kopitiams selling chilled red wine for $20 / bottle and uncles will drink them happily with ice and frosted mugs.

If it is the way that the man on the street likes to take their favourite drink, should these guys be mocked at? A friend of mine once commented (rather loudly at a kopitiam that is) that drinking beer with ice is likened to having sex without cuming. People are entitled to their own views, so why isn't people entitled to the way they like to consume their drinks?
Harry

Re: Beer - Man on the Street Style

Postby Hunty » 11 Aug 2008, 21:52

People are entitled to their own views, so why isn't people entitled to the way they like to consume their drinks?

well, i guess people is what they is...;) so let them be I say.!

that drinking beer with ice is likened to having sex without cuming

been having a bit of homebrew tonight Harry ? :wink:
The Power of Positive Drinking
Hunty

Postby southernoise » 11 Aug 2008, 23:49

diluting beer with ice is a definite no no for me. I'd rather drink it warm. :mrgreen:

however for reds at room temperature, who's room temperature? the guys over at france, spain, chile or the guys over here? :D

each to his own lah when it comes to drinking, those uncles at the coffee shops got iron livers, morning drink till night still alive and kicking. Thats something to be reckon with! :twisted:
On Tap:
Coming up: Uruk-hai IPA
Fond Memories:
American Pale Ale, tweaked from Jamil's Brewing Classic Styles page 134
Dirty Water Brown, tweaked from Jamil's Brewing Classic Styles page 141
southernoise

Postby Hunty » 12 Aug 2008, 07:57

but on a more sober note, why do people drink alcoholic beverages at all ?.

if you drink for the experience of taste, then I think there are better ways of serving drinks (ie beer and wine at the right temperature etc) and you should definitely try to learn about "standard practise" ;) when trying to maximise the sensation of taste.

however I think Harry is perhaps alluding to a section of people who choose to imbibe for the alcoholic effect. In that case taste is secondary, and the vehicle for getting alcohol into one's system is the key objective. So whether its ice in beer or chilled red wine to make it go down better, who cares. The same can be said for mixed drinks such as scotch and coke etc, or these fruit "cooler" drinks which are basically fruit juice with added alcohol, but whatever, it gets the alcohol in more pleasantly.

so lets be honest Harry. Would those Uncles/Aunties be there putting ice in their beer or chilling their red wine in hawker centres after dinner, if it tasted exactly the same but had zero alcohol in it ? ;)
Hunty

Postby Harry » 12 Aug 2008, 10:30

Hunty wrote:however I think Harry is perhaps alluding to a section of people who choose to imbibe for the alcoholic effect. In that case taste is secondary, and the vehicle for getting alcohol into one's system is the key objective. So whether its ice in beer or chilled red wine to make it go down better, who cares. The same can be said for mixed drinks such as scotch and coke etc, or these fruit "cooler" drinks which are basically fruit juice with added alcohol, but whatever, it gets the alcohol in more pleasantly.

so lets be honest Harry. Would those Uncles/Aunties be there putting ice in their beer or chilling their red wine in hawker centres after dinner, if it tasted exactly the same but had zero alcohol in it ? ;)

I think cocktails and such can also be appreciated like how we (homebrewers in general) appreciate beer. How many of us can really drink distilled alcohols by themselves? I will go bonkers pretty quickly. Just like how hops balances the sweet malt, perhaps juices, softdrinkers, mixers can also balance the harsh taste of distilled alcohols. Just a wild guess.

As for whether or not uncles and aunties will add ice to their beer if it is non alcoholic, I guess the answer is pretty obvious. Intoxication is always part of the reason to consume alcoholic drinks (we just have to admit it). I know of people who are really into their beers (they will visit microbreweries, go for beer tasting and stuff) and liked them ice cold in frosted mugs, something that we won't usually do. Even the uncles on the streets would have their favourite brand of beer, which probably means that they have a preference for taste and not just purely drink for intoxication purposes.

The only difference between these people and other beer enthusiasts is that the latter appreciate the 'proper' way of serving a beer, these guys just drink it their way - the way they liked it (ice cold, frosted mugs, with ice cubes..etc). Anything wrong with that?
Harry

Postby keat » 12 Aug 2008, 10:57

[quote="Harry]The only difference between these people and other beer enthusiasts is that the latter appreciate the 'proper' way of serving a beer, these guys just drink it their way - the way they liked it (ice cold, frosted mugs, with ice cubes..etc). Anything wrong with that?[/quote]

If you like the way you're drinking it, why change? I prefer my beer served at the right temperature, but sometimes on a really hot day, and I only have warm beer, an ice cube or 2 won't hurt.
On Tap:Nil
Coming up: German Blonde
In fond memories: The Pursuit of Hoppyness (IBC 2007 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale (IBC 2008 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale III (Asia Beer Awards 2008 Gold)
keat

Re: Beer - Harry's Rules

Postby Hunty » 12 Aug 2008, 11:06

I think cocktails and such can also be appreciated like how we (homebrewers in general) appreciate beer. How many of us can really drink distilled alcohols by themselves?

Oh I do. :D Single malt scotch is delectable, but of course its meant to be taken responsibly and in small quantities.
Why spend all that time and money to take the water out, only to add it back in again right at the end ? :?:

The only difference between these people and other beer enthusiasts is that the latter appreciate the 'proper' way of serving a beer, these guys just drink it their way - the way they liked it (ice cold, frosted mugs, with ice cubes..etc). Anything wrong with that?

gee, interesting question. How do we define what is "right" or what is "wrong" ? In order to do that in any context, I think we need laws or rules, and even then, you may may not agree with them. In my case I have personal rules when it comes to right and wrong but they apply to me only and I try not to impose them on others. ;) .. (except my kids of course.. LOL ).
Hunty

Postby Fin » 13 Aug 2008, 14:09

I feel it's important to responsible for one's action and think with the right head :mrgreen: before doing anything.
" Drink responsibly!" might sound like an overused cliché .
If the purpose of someone to homebrew is just to find a cheaper alcohol to get drunk to fuel his desire to do nasty things to oneself and others, then
there are many other options- even chinese cooking wine qualifies!

I think most people deserve a nice quality beer after a sh1tty day of work ! Right? :)
Selling off my precious collection:-- Complete keg system + Keg fridge/ lager fridge- CO2 tank- Complete fermenter systems .- 3 well built fermenter chiller .Asst of glasses, wares.. Pls email: lemonpanic55555@gmail.com ( remove all 5s) sms 9One767708
Fin

Postby Hunty » 14 Aug 2008, 08:12

actually methylated spirits from Homefix works pretty well too ;)
Hunty

Postby avp » 14 Aug 2008, 09:16

If the purpose of someone to homebrew is just to find a cheaper alcohol to get drunk ............even chinese cooking wine qualifies!

actually methylated spirits from Homefix works pretty well too

..ahh....there is nothing like the voice of experience...... :lol:
I prefer a bottle in front of me to a frontal lobotomy.
avp

Postby Hunty » 14 Aug 2008, 14:01

LOL

Its a cheaper additive to my beer than Vodka, but please don't tell anybody that. :lol:
Hunty

Postby Fin » 15 Aug 2008, 19:07

Hunty wrote:

actually methylated spirits from Homefix works pretty well too ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol: Smoking is strongly discouraged while performing this stunt !
Selling off my precious collection:-- Complete keg system + Keg fridge/ lager fridge- CO2 tank- Complete fermenter systems .- 3 well built fermenter chiller .Asst of glasses, wares.. Pls email: lemonpanic55555@gmail.com ( remove all 5s) sms 9One767708
Fin

Postby Harry » 16 Aug 2008, 00:54

My fren who went to Germany for his internship told me that his lab mates actually ordered pure ethanol (ethanol for general lab use are seldom pure. It is mixed with its more toxic brother, methanol, to prevent people from using it for intoxication) to mix it with their beers for a greater kick. Now.. if you want intoxication, go for the pure stuff! Go for the HPLC grade (which is effectively the highest grade in the world of chemicals) ethanol!

Distilled alcohol is at the most abt 50+% ethanol. Why settle for less when you can get 99.99%? :p
Harry

Postby Hunty » 16 Aug 2008, 08:29

LOL yes when I was a chem undergrad (too many years ago) it was available on tap as a solvent for experiments in the lab. I was never game to try it at the time but I did know a few that did... and they were not the students LOL
Hunty

Return to Beer Tasting and Food