What's for Dinner?

Here is where we drink and tell. Whether its a new drinking hole or new beer, tell us your opinions and recommendations. Lets not forget about food pairing too. Anything to help soothe another pint down the throat.

What's for Dinner?

Postby keat » 11 Oct 2008, 19:53

Homemade cheese burger with bacon, swiss emmenthal, onions, pickles, rockets, fries with garlic mayo. Paired with a belgian Gueze, Mariage Parfait.

Top chuck beef mince: $4.00
Bottle of Mariage Parfait: $10.00
Finding the perfect beer pairing for a cheese burger: Priceless

Yum Yum...... *burp*
On Tap:Nil
Coming up: German Blonde
In fond memories: The Pursuit of Hoppyness (IBC 2007 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale (IBC 2008 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale III (Asia Beer Awards 2008 Gold)
keat

Re: What's for Dinner?

Postby Hunty » 21 Oct 2008, 14:08

looks good Keat, but when did you last get your Choleterol tested LOL :D

what i want to know is how you make your chips please. I love them but find that they end up cooked, but soggy. Nothing worse than a soggy , oil soaked chip.

So whats the secret to a perfect chip Keat... is the quality of the potato, preparation of the potato, quality or type of oil, initial temperature, or cooking temperature ? ;)

hunty
The Power of Positive Drinking
Hunty

Postby craigev » 21 Oct 2008, 14:22

hey keat, where to find geuze ?
craigev

Postby keat » 21 Oct 2008, 14:28

Hunty wrote:looks good Keat, but when did you last get your Choleterol tested LOL :D

what i want to know is how you make your chips please. I love them but find that they end up cooked, but soggy. Nothing worse than a soggy , oil soaked chip.

So whats the secret to a perfect chip Keat... is the quality of the potato, preparation of the potato, quality or type of oil, initial temperature, or cooking temperature ? ;)

hunty

I buy them from the supermarket :lol: :lol:

BUT, if you're interested in making your own (which I've tried and came out soggy as well), I did a search and the secret to crispy fries is to double fry them. Fry them till they're cooked, take them out to rest, then fry again just before serving. I know that McDonald's fries are fried twice, fry once at the factory, freeze, then refry at the outlet. The freezing actually helps to keep the inside moist and creamy. Other tricks include coating them with flour. I still think the double frying works, might try it out once my bag of store bought fries are finished :D

Of course, other things like quality of the potato, initial temp and cooking temp plays a part too. Especially the initial temp, never throw in the fries before it is hot enough. It'll just soak all the oil and become soggy.
In fond memories: The Pursuit of Hoppyness (IBC 2007 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale (IBC 2008 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale III (Asia Beer Awards 2008 Gold)
keat

Postby keat » 21 Oct 2008, 14:32

craigev wrote:hey keat, where to find geuze ?

I bought them during the beer fest, but you can still get them direct from distributor, Drinking Partners. You need to order 5 cases for them to deliver FOC, else have to pay $25 delivery. I bought 2 cases myself. Here's a link to their website, more details there http://www.thedrinkingpartners.com/TDP% ... 0Beers.htm
keat

Postby Hunty » 22 Oct 2008, 07:50

I buy them from the supermarket

oh no... thats as bad as buying that burger at Carl's Jr ... and why not a homebrew instead of a bought beer ?... what are we coming to here LOL

Actually I have always been on the quest to make a perfect chip and find that solid oil blends are best. There's a brand in Australia called "supafry" which is a blend of mainly vegetable oil but some meat fats. Its sold in square blocks and it does make a great tasting chip, but not seen it here. I have been told that drying the chips before dunking them in the hot oil helps too...

I have tried the supermarket versions but they always have a "processed" taste to them, maybe thats because they have been...processed ?
Hunty

Postby keat » 22 Oct 2008, 10:49

Hunty wrote:
I buy them from the supermarket

oh no... thats as bad as buying that burger at Carl's Jr ... and why not a homebrew instead of a bought beer ?... what are we coming to here LOL

yeah I know, why buy it when you can make it. Well, it was a quick slap-together meal - boss was not around, so I wanted something to go well with the beer. The emmenthal cheese made a huge difference though, goes really well with the beer.

Actually I have always been on the quest to make a perfect chip and find that solid oil blends are best. There's a brand in Australia called "supafry" which is a blend of mainly vegetable oil but some meat fats. Its sold in square blocks and it does make a great tasting chip, but not seen it here. I have been told that drying the chips before dunking them in the hot oil helps too...

using animal fats for fries? :shock: That sounds really.... oily.

I have tried the supermarket versions but they always have a "processed" taste to them, maybe thats because they have been...processed ?

I've been using this brand of fries - Cavendish, it's meant for oven-baked fries, but I just use them for deep-fry. It doesn't have that processed-cardboardy taste, and goes pretty well with garlic mayo.
keat

Postby Hunty » 22 Oct 2008, 14:19

The taste of a french fry is largely determined by the cooking oil. For decades McDonald's cooked its french fries in a mixture of about seven percent cottonseed oil and 93 percent beef tallow. The mixture gave the fries their unique flavor -- and more saturated beef fat per ounce than a McDonald's hamburger.

and then:

In 1990, amid a barrage of criticism over the amount of cholesterol in its fries, McDonald's switched to pure vegetable oil. This presented the company with a challenge: how to make fries that subtly taste like beef without cooking them in beef tallow. A look at the ingredients in McDonald's french fries suggests how the problem was solved. Toward the end of the list is a seemingly innocuous yet oddly mysterious phrase: "natural flavor." That ingredient helps to explain not only why the fries taste so good but also why most fast food -- indeed, most of the food Americans eat today -- tastes the way it does.

Above from the famous "Fast Food Nation" ;)

So I guess the question is what flavouring do they put in the supermarket preprepared stuff... basically "natural flavouring" is an excuse for "chemical".. ;)
Hunty

Postby southernoise » 22 Oct 2008, 14:44

Instead of fries try this with some Russet potatoes or any potatoes for that matter.

1. Peel and cut potatoes to half/quarters depending on the size of the potatoes.
2. Boil the bunch in a bit of salted water till cooked but not too soft or mushy.
3. Drain and dump the whole bunch into a pot, sprinkle with a bit of salt, add a stick or two or three of butter, you can never have enough butter :P Let it melt in the heat of the hot potatoes.
4. Cover the pot, and toss the potatoes around bruising it while letting the butter infused into the potatoes.
5. Bake the potatoes in a well oiled baking tray till golden brown.
On Tap:
Coming up: Uruk-hai IPA
Fond Memories:
American Pale Ale, tweaked from Jamil's Brewing Classic Styles page 134
Dirty Water Brown, tweaked from Jamil's Brewing Classic Styles page 141
southernoise

Postby htkm » 28 Oct 2008, 18:33

Tried frying real potatoes with ground nut oil. Turned out soft and oily. The resident food critic (My 4-year old son) rejected with just one bite and said, "Not nice!"

Read a recipe book. Need to boil the potatoes for awhile before frying.
Keg:
Secondary:
Primary: Dry Stout
Brewing Soon: Pliny The Elder
htkm

Postby keat » 28 Oct 2008, 18:43

htkm wrote:Read a recipe book. Need to boil the potatoes for awhile before frying.

tried that before, doesn't work. Maybe I boiled it too much, but it came out soggy.
keat

Postby htkm » 29 Oct 2008, 08:58

keat wrote:
htkm wrote:Read a recipe book. Need to boil the potatoes for awhile before frying.

tried that before, doesn't work. Maybe I boiled it too much, but it came out soggy.

I think the manufactures coat someting onto the cut fries. "Natural Flavors" and perhaps some other "Natural" stuff to make the fires chrips Or I need to cut the fires smaller size???
Keg:
Secondary:
Primary: Dry Stout
Brewing Soon: Pliny The Elder
htkm

Postby keat » 29 Oct 2008, 09:38

htkm wrote:I think the manufactures coat someting onto the cut fries. "Natural Flavors" and perhaps some other "Natural" stuff to make the fires chrips Or I need to cut the fires smaller size???

it's probably soaked in animal fats, as what Hunty mentioned. That's the "natural flavors".
keat

Postby spud » 08 Dec 2008, 17:48

Couldnt resist this one. "Chips"
Make sure you wash cut potato chips really well, then dry exceptionaly well.
Can dust in flour if like or garlic salt or any thing dry for flavour inhancement or not but U need to have a deep enough fryer that the chips arent crowded, so fry in small batches if U have small pan.
Can use any frying liquid but cleanest without off flavours when heated is best (dont waste your expensive Olive oil,) ususally we use Veg Oil here
but back in Oz we use what Hunty says Superfry is great. ( old fish & chip shops used Beef/Lamb dripping it was called - came from Butchers that rendered down from butchering trimmings that were not thrown in sausages)

But as U have said they have to be double fried. 1st is just when they take on slight colour change, drain and cool (important ) then fry again and U will get a crisp outside, soft moist inside chip that will bounce off your plate into U'r mouth.
When keeping batches warm in oven always crinkle up kitchen towels and lay then on that.

Dont have any hot temp reading gear so use bread as gauge, drop piece half as big as your thumb nail into fryer when it turns light brown in 5 sec she's hot enough, make sure fryer heats up between batches as well.
spud.
Brewing, well awaiting to be - Newcastle Nut, American Pale
Keg - Scottish 80/-, Eda's Milk Stout
Next in line - Choc /Hazelnut Porter, Dry Knickers Stout then, Classic American Pils, Kolsch.
spud

Postby Hunty » 10 Dec 2008, 11:02

so where can I buy supafry in Singapore mate ?

going to book you for a fry up when I find it ;)

Hunty
Hunty

Next

Return to Beer Tasting and Food