Store bought sake

Here is where we drink and tell. Whether its a new drinking hole or new beer, tell us your opinions and recommendations. Lets not forget about food pairing too. Anything to help soothe another pint down the throat.

Store bought sake

Postby southernoise » 12 Jan 2009, 13:17

Where do you guys normally get your sake? and what's good to drink? Sake noob here. Drank a few chilled ones @ a ramen joint and it was yummy!
On Tap:
Coming up: Uruk-hai IPA
Fond Memories:
American Pale Ale, tweaked from Jamil's Brewing Classic Styles page 134
Dirty Water Brown, tweaked from Jamil's Brewing Classic Styles page 141
southernoise

Re: Store bought sake

Postby keat » 12 Jan 2009, 21:17

Welcome to the addiction! I swear sake is the only alcohol that goes well with sashimi...
I get mine from Isetan@Lido building usually. You can also try Mediya in Liang court, good selection too, but i think they are both supplied by the same importer. I've seen the same promotion lady in both places. Another place is NTUC Finest @ Bt Timah, they have one of my fav at a reasonable price, but their selection is not very wide - maybe 6? they do have seasonal stuff sometimes, but you'll usually find them in Isetan and Mediya too.
On Tap:Nil
Coming up: German Blonde
In fond memories: The Pursuit of Hoppyness (IBC 2007 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale (IBC 2008 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale III (Asia Beer Awards 2008 Gold)
keat

Postby southernoise » 13 Jan 2009, 09:31

ah yes thanks. which one is your favourite? Thinking of buying some for the reunion dinner rather than beer! heh heh...

reading http://www.sake-world.com/ opens up a totally new perspective of sake. I didn't know that there were so many variations!
On Tap:
Fond Memories:
southernoise

Postby keat » 14 Jan 2009, 21:09

southernoise wrote:ah yes thanks. which one is your favourite? Thinking of buying some for the reunion dinner rather than beer! heh heh...

Not sure what it is called in English, but I recognize it by the Jap character on the label. Sake should go nicely with steam boat.

reading http://www.sake-world.com/ opens up a totally new perspective of sake. I didn't know that there were so many variations!

you should try the seasonal ones, like the Nigori or those made using young rice or first harvest. They had those about the same time last year. Or even the sparkling sakes, but be careful, I had a bottle which tasted abit too cheesy and funky. Best is to have the promoter pour you a taster or recommend one to your taste.
In fond memories: The Pursuit of Hoppyness (IBC 2007 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale (IBC 2008 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale III (Asia Beer Awards 2008 Gold)
keat

Postby southernoise » 14 Jan 2009, 21:43

ahh... thanks for the info. Will pay NTUC finest a visit soon!
On Tap:
Fond Memories:
southernoise

Postby southernoise » 06 Mar 2009, 02:17

On Tap:
Fond Memories:
southernoise

Postby keat » 07 Mar 2009, 23:53

prices seems a bit high
Found a new favourite sake - Kuboten. Comes in a few different grade - Manju $100++ Senju $69 etc. What you pay is what you get, but the Senju is well worth the money.
keat

Postby southernoise » 08 Mar 2009, 12:14

where did you get the kuboten? is this the one?
http://www.truesake.com/sakes/JH24_Kubota_Senjyu.php

bought a bottle of Kikusui Junmai Ginjo at NTUC Finest. http://www.kikusui-sake.com/home/english_8.html How long can we keep opened bottles in the fridge?
On Tap:
Fond Memories:
southernoise

Postby keat » 08 Mar 2009, 13:05

southernoise wrote:where did you get the kuboten? is this the one?
http://www.truesake.com/sakes/JH24_Kubota_Senjyu.php

bought a bottle of Kikusui Junmai Ginjo at NTUC Finest. http://www.kikusui-sake.com/home/english_8.html How long can we keep opened bottles in the fridge?

Yup thats the Senjyu, 2nd highest grade. Highest I've seen, but not tasted, is the Manjyu. Got it from Isetan, I believe they are out of stock for the Senjyu, was there yesterday. Bought a Kojyu instead.

I wouldn't keep them for too long, they're like wine. Flush with some Co2 or No2 if you can, stays fresh a bit longer. Wouldn't keep it for more than 3 days though.
keat

Postby southernoise » 08 Mar 2009, 17:41

wah damn. I got the big bottle... i'm gonna be drunk for the next few days! hahaaa.... guess its small bottles in future.
On Tap:
Fond Memories:
southernoise

Postby keat » 09 Mar 2009, 22:14

southernoise wrote:wah damn. I got the big bottle... i'm gonna be drunk for the next few days! hahaaa.... guess its small bottles in future.

The magnum size ones? i.e. 1.5L :lol: :lol: happy drinking
keat

Postby keat » 29 Mar 2009, 13:04

just came back from a week in Japan, funny thing is, I never really tried the bottled premium ones. Those one-cup sakes in the convenience were surprisingly good. And nothing beats hotto sakes at the BBQ restaurants on cold 7C nights. :lol: goes well with the local wagyu beef too :mrgreen:

keat

Postby southernoise » 30 Mar 2009, 09:07

WAGYU!!!!

I'd normally go to Aburiya at Robertson walk to satisfy my wagyu cravings. Can be pricey though, not something that I'll eat often! Oh and even wagyu tongue makes a difference, A/B it with regular beef tongue, the regular one no fight lah! :mrgreen:
On Tap:
Fond Memories:
southernoise

Postby keat » 30 Mar 2009, 21:36

southernoise wrote:WAGYU!!!!

I'd normally go to Aburiya at Robertson walk to satisfy my wagyu cravings. Can be pricey though, not something that I'll eat often! Oh and even wagyu tongue makes a difference, A/B it with regular beef tongue, the regular one no fight lah! :mrgreen:

I find Aburiya over-marinated and is a sign of not so fresh meat. Gyu Kaku was my favourite (till I went to Japan)..Aburiya is similar to Tokyo-style, Gyu Kaku is similar to Osaka style. BTW, not only is the quality different, even the price is different :D Cheaper in Japan, considering Kobe is 30mins away from Osaka, I'm not surprised.
keat

Postby southernoise » 30 Mar 2009, 23:56

gyukaku. not been there yet. thanks for the heads up.
On Tap:
Fond Memories:
southernoise

Return to Beer Tasting and Food