iBrew Challenge 2010 Contest Information

We didn't brew beer so that we could drink alone did we?. You can get the ball rolling or join the next available cell group. Where there are beers, there are friends.

iBrew Challenge 2010 Contest Information

Postby Raymond » 23 Aug 2010, 19:39

Update in red

Dear Brewers,

Whats New?
Last year we didn't have time to do a preliminary round, so this year I decided to do my own selection. I will put through 5 to 8 beers per category for judgment day. So all entries have to be submitted to me before 18th Sept.

3 Main Categories : Lager, Ale, Special.

For definition of Category : Download Brewers Association Beer Style Guideline
Lager : Refer to 'LAGER BEER STYLES'
Ale : Refer to 'ALE STYLES' except Belgium Origin and Wheat Beer Styles
Special Brew : Refer to 'HYBRID/MIXED BEER STYLES' + Cider + Barley wine + Belgium origin Beer Style + ALL Wheat (Wit/Weisse) Beer Styles + Fruit Beer.

Submission : $8 per entry. All entries must be submitted in bottles. Submit 2 bottles per entry in each category. Leave bottles unmarked. No submission form this year. When you register your submission, give us :
1. Beer Category
2. Beer Style
3. Name of Beer
4. Remark (Optional)

All entries must be submitted to iBrew Showroom before 17th Sept 5pm.
Final Judging Day :
18th Sept 2010. Winners and runner-ups of each category will be revealed.

Judging :Judges will be looking closely on style of beer. A beer must not only look good and taste good; It must adhere to the definitive style and characteristics of the beer which is representing. Such as bitterness, malt flavors, hop taste and nose, color and overall appearance. For detailed definition of style, please refer to Brewers Association Beer Guide. Basic beer flaws such as, phenolic, diacetyl, DMS, skunky, banana, cheesy, estery and sourness - will not make the cut.

PRIZES
Lager & Ale :

Winners will receive trophy & up to $200 worth of prizes.
Runner-ups will receive trophy & up to $100 worth of prizes.
Special Brew:
Winner will receive trophy & up to $150 worth of prizes.

Qualifying number of contestants:
We need a minimum of participants for each category to qualify.
Lager and Ale :
Min 8 participants. If the number falls between 4 to 7. One winner will be selected. Below 4 participant, entries will be merged with another category.
Special :
Min 5 participants. Below 5 participants, entries will be merged with another category.
Please note that it is the number of individual participants. NOT the number of entires. Every individual participant can have more than 1 entry.

iBrew Cash Voucher : Terms & Condition
1.Subject available stock
2.List pricing only
3.Valid for 1 months.

Why do I need to submit 2 bottles?
There will be 2 rounds of judging.

What type of bottles should I use?
Glass or PET bottles. All bottles must have labels removed. Bottles must not be larger than 1 Litre in size. No kegs, TAD or any other form of dispensers.

Give us more information about Special Brew category?
For brewers who like to venture beyond traditional brew into more exotic concoctions. Last year we have only a few entries but I hope this year we can attract more. Style includes fruit beer, Herb & Spiced Beer, Smoke-flavored beer, Wood & barrel-aged beer, Ginger beer, Cider, Barley wine, Belgium Style beers and wheat beer. Only one winner will be chosen here.

Why include Belgium Style and Wheat in Special section?
I don't think we are going to get a lot of entries for non generic style. I feel that belgium style and wheat beer is unique in their own way. They should have their own domain.

HALL OF FAME :

YEAR 2009
Gold winner for Lager : Graham Hunt
Silver winner for Lager : Craig Evenson
Gold winner for Ale : Yong Choon Keat
Silver winner for Ale : Yong CHoon KEat
Gold winner for Special : Craig Evenson
People's Choice (keg) - Sean Fowler

YEAR 2008
Gold winner for Lager : Graham Hunt
Silver winner for Lager : Graham Hunt
Gold winner for Ale : Yong Choon Keat