Beerfest Asia 2009

We didn't brew beer so that we could drink alone did we?. You can get the ball rolling or join the next available cell group. Where there are beers, there are friends.

Beerfest Asia 2009

Postby southernoise » 19 Mar 2009, 21:47

On Tap:
Coming up: Uruk-hai IPA
Fond Memories:
American Pale Ale, tweaked from Jamil's Brewing Classic Styles page 134
Dirty Water Brown, tweaked from Jamil's Brewing Classic Styles page 141
southernoise

Re: Beerfest Asia 2009

Postby Hunty » 21 Mar 2009, 08:58

wow... yet another beer festival... I wonder if local micro's will participate...
nonetheless this is the first time I have heard of this one.
The Power of Positive Drinking
Hunty

Postby southernoise » 24 Mar 2009, 08:23

i was told that this is organised by Timbre, so it should be better than the last, if you remember last year's fiasco.
On Tap:
Fond Memories:
southernoise

Postby keat » 29 Mar 2009, 13:29

looking at the beer list, if there's only one beer you're gonna taste, it has to be the Arrogant Bastard ale. Hope it travels well.

BTW, noticed Archipelago has a new beer out - Xiang. Anyone tasted this before?

Another interesting note - Storm brewing from Indonesia? thought they were a US brewery...I like how they have double entries to make the list longer :lol:
On Tap:Nil
Coming up: German Blonde
In fond memories: The Pursuit of Hoppyness (IBC 2007 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale (IBC 2008 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale III (Asia Beer Awards 2008 Gold)
keat

Postby southernoise » 30 Mar 2009, 09:10

Tasted Storm's brew in Bali, think its their pale ale. Taste like cidery kit beer. Not nice. :(
On Tap:
Fond Memories:
southernoise

Postby keat » 30 Mar 2009, 21:59

southernoise wrote:Tasted Storm's brew in Bali, think its their pale ale. Taste like cidery kit beer. Not nice. :(

So indeed it is a Indonesian brewery. Maybe they are an extract brewery. Thanks for the heads up though.
In fond memories: The Pursuit of Hoppyness (IBC 2007 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale (IBC 2008 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale III (Asia Beer Awards 2008 Gold)
keat

Postby Hairy » 30 Apr 2009, 19:21

Anyone gg for this? I bought the tickets, intend to go tmr. the service i recieved from the timbre staff was very bad though. And the website they provide is never really fully functional.
Hairy

Postby southernoise » 02 May 2009, 03:06

was there for the past 3 nights.

Beer selection was more limited compared to last year. Stone brews was pretty good. Ruination IPA and Arrogant Bastard. Tasted the limited edition Dog Schwarz Smoked double lager from Flying Dogs, very yummy and liked the balanced smoked flavour. Pricey though. Another nice ale would be the Mendocino's Red Tail Ale, plenty of flavours.

Helle Belle's gotta be one of the BEST cover bands I've ever seen. Better than AC/DC themselves!

My only grouse is that why can't the beer coupons be used on other days? Bought a $50 on the first day and went back the 2nd day with $32 and found out that I can't bloody use them. After much haggling, I got back $30 cos the beer dollars are sold in set of 10s. @#[email protected]#$#@ so what happens if you've got $3 left and you can't buy anything? Can't I buy a $2 coupon to get another beer?

Cash is king. I rather they dispense with all that coupons nonsense or make the coupon system works for the customer and not for the organiser's convenience.

oh oh and the Singha girls was the best of the bunch. :mrgreen:
On Tap:
Fond Memories:
southernoise

Postby keat » 02 May 2009, 15:44

southernoise wrote:was there for the past 3 nights.

Beer selection was more limited compared to last year. Stone brews was pretty good. Ruination IPA and Arrogant Bastard. Tasted the limited edition Dog Schwarz Smoked double lager from Flying Dogs, very yummy and liked the balanced smoked flavour. Pricey though. Another nice ale would be the Mendocino's Red Tail Ale, plenty of flavours.

Helle Belle's gotta be one of the BEST cover bands I've ever seen. Better than AC/DC themselves!

My only grouse is that why can't the beer coupons be used on other days? Bought a $50 on the first day and went back the 2nd day with $32 and found out that I can't bloody use them. After much haggling, I got back $30 cos the beer dollars are sold in set of 10s. @#[email protected]#$#@ so what happens if you've got $3 left and you can't buy anything? Can't I buy a $2 coupon to get another beer?

Cash is king. I rather they dispense with all that coupons nonsense or make the coupon system works for the customer and not for the organiser's convenience.

oh oh and the Singha girls was the best of the bunch. :mrgreen:

yeah I find the coupon system is used at the customer's expense. They should at least allow folks to get a refund for unused coupons.

dude, any photos?
keat

Postby southernoise » 02 May 2009, 16:54

no man, only 2 quick shots of arrogant bastard and dog schwarz.

oh you mean the Singha girls???? :lol:
On Tap:
Fond Memories:
southernoise

Postby Hairy » 03 May 2009, 18:03

was there on labour day! The venue is fine but i think a little too warm. And the variety of beers not as many as expected (i think). Good atmosphere and band, reasonably priced for most beers. I think the $50 ticket on saturday, even with the band, is way too costly.

Incidentally, I was at Red Dot yesterday. Bumped into Ernest. Asked him abt the beerfest. I was told that all of the participants last year didn't get a single cent back because the someone in the organising committee ran away with all the $$$. And thus, the number of groups willing to participate this year is considerably less. And apparently, it is the same organising committee this year.
Hairy

Return to Drinking Activities