Priming with Cooper's Brew Enhancer 2 help

Don't want to be daunted by grain discussion? Talk about basics of brewing here. A space where we always keep it simple.

Priming with Cooper's Brew Enhancer 2 help

Postby Ethan » 07 Jul 2009, 00:42

Hi all,

I am currently brewing my own version of Founders Breakfast Stout, and decided to prime with Cooper's Brew Enhancer 2. The recipe calls for 150 gram of corn sugar, so in this case with the enhancer being a mixture of DME, Dextrose and Maltodextrin, how much do I need to ensure that the carbonation it requires is is equal to 150 gram of corn sugar?

Regards
Ethan
Ethan

Re: Priming with Cooper's Brew Enhancer 2 help

Postby Hairy » 07 Jul 2009, 15:14

well to be honest, since the enhancer didn't really specify the proportion in which the various ingredients are mixed, it is a question that is almost impossible to answer. I do not think it is a good idea to use tt for priming. On top of the problem you have at the moment, the enchancer also costs more than sugar itself.

DME is not exactly the idea choice for priming even though some idealists, who are resistant to the idea of using any sort of refined sugar may insist on using DME for priming. Simple sugar is chosen for a few reasons. Firstly, they ferment fast, giving the beer carbonation faster. Secondly, the small amount used has little effect on the taste. And the best reason of all, DME is better used for making the beer itself rather than using it for carbonation.

If you do not have dextrose in your possession for priming, I have used table sugar for priming before and it doesn't seem to have any adverse effects on the taste - at least, not much. Save the enchancer, just use simple sugar!.
Hairy

Re: Priming with Cooper's Brew Enhancer 2 help

Postby Ethan » 08 Jul 2009, 11:21

Hi Hairy,

Thanks, I'll consider priming it with just DME as I am currently out of dextrose, hopefully it will turn out well...the malt aroma is just too alluring for me to resist now...hehehe. using the formula from John Palmer's How to Brew, I will require about 202grams or 7.1oz of DME, am I right?

Regards
Ethan
Ethan

Return to Basics & Beginners' Corner