OMG!!!

Don't want to be daunted by grain discussion? Talk about basics of brewing here. A space where we always keep it simple.

OMG!!!

Postby Guitar9 » 05 Nov 2009, 22:06

OMG guys! when i was pouring the mineral water into the fermenter, the entire bottle i was holding slipped and fell into the fementer together with the wort! will it be contaminated? i had to fish it out with with my hands!!! and it was the 4th bottle, so the water was already warm...!!!! OMG!! this feeling is damn cock! dunno should laugh or cry.
Guitar9

Re: OMG!!!

Postby Hunty » 06 Nov 2009, 07:38

Guitar9 wrote: will it be contaminated? i had to fish it out with with my hands!!!

hey guitar, it is highly likely you will have introduced something other than yeast that will try to ferment in your wort, but on the other hand, the yeast that you pitch may also be virile enough to dominate. So give it a try, and tell us how it turns out.

also, why are you going to all the expense of using mineral water ?, seriously, filtered tap water will do the job just as well.

Hunty
The Power of Positive Drinking
Hunty

Postby Guitar9 » 06 Nov 2009, 11:04

Hello Hunty,
Hope its gonna be ok too! So u use filtered tap water? like the filtering machine that is sold commercially or Just the tap that is attached with that small little filter? Do we need to add anything to balance the Hardness?Thanks.
Guitar9

Postby rotiJo » 06 Nov 2009, 12:43

i used tap water only when i brewing kits last time.
rotiJo

Postby Guitar9 » 06 Nov 2009, 16:33

Hi Roti. do you boil the tap water? and how do you cool the water down? (chill) for the boiled wort.
Guitar9

Postby rotiJo » 07 Nov 2009, 00:50

i chill the tap water in sanitized 1.5L bottle. didnt boil. chill worts den add cold water in.
rotiJo

Postby Hairy » 29 Dec 2009, 14:21

Guitar, how did the batch turn out? Inevitably you will introduce some non yeast stuff into the wort. Only thing is whether they would have an impact of not.

The Homebrewing for Dummies book highly recommend that all water used for brewing should be boiled beforehand. But i do not have the capacity to boil and store so much water and thus I didn't bother to boil the water used for dilution of wort. I just used the tap water straight from the tap. My household is using the Diamond Energy water filter though. Mineral water is juz not worth the effort. Expensive, inconvenient and not to mention super environmentally unfriendly. Most important of all, our water quality is seriously not much different from bottled water. The chlorine is a concern though.

On a sidenote, I swear that my dogs actually drank twice as much water a day since the water filter was installed. I was impressed really.
Hairy

Return to Basics & Beginners' Corner