Coopers European Lager

Tips, tricks and techniques regarding brewing with beer kits or extract, steeping grains, and partial mash

Coopers European Lager

Postby Hunty » 22 Jun 2008, 18:52

I know HTKM has tried it, anybody else ?

I was kindly given a can of this material, and brewed it up stock standard last week, (well, lets say 1 kg DME + 500 g Dextrose and liquid Danish lager liquid yeast and fermenting bang on 10 deg C... ;) )

I deliberately added no additional hops because I wanted to see what the kit was made of.. so to speak.

Its been down 7 days and Sg was 1.024 from 1.046... Sg sample was clean, but thin, I'd agree with HT...floral on the nose, but still early days yet.

Anybody else ?
The Power of Positive Drinking
Hunty

Re: Coopers European Lager

Postby Hunty » 30 Jun 2008, 08:51

no replies here but I did find some in this forum:

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/i ... c=18913&hl

would have to agree with sentiment, quite thin, almost no taste to it... :| ... nontheless will let it sit for a month at 2-4 deg C and see if it improves.

very strange to have a kit taste this way, no off flavours and no kit twang, in fact very little flavour at all. Kind of like a commercial low alcohol beer taste beer... interesting. Will report back here in due course. If it stays like this I expect t to be a refreshing drink, but probably won't appeal to the beer connoisseur...

FG was 1.010, and I used Danish Lager yeast at a steady 10 deg C, followed by a 3 day rest at 18 deg C.

Hunty
Hunty

Postby avp » 14 Jul 2008, 15:54

very strange to have a kit taste this way, no off flavours and no kit twang, in fact very little flavour at all. Kind of like a commercial low alcohol beer taste beer...

hunty... I got a tin of the European Lager from a kind soul who had got back from Perth and put it down a week ago with 500gm of pale DME. 400 gm of Golden Syrup and 100 gm of corn sugar, made up to 20 litres. OG was 1.045 and today (after 7 days) it was 1.012. Managed to keep the temp between 14C and 16C throughout the fermentation. I'm crashing the temp for about three days and will bottle mid-week. Sg steal was very clear and tasted like an American lite beer, athough calculated abv should be about 5%+.
Given your comments on the taste of the beer, am considering dry hopping one TAD with Saaz and another with Hallertau and keeping one normal for comparison. Comments?
Will report back after beer's been TAD-ed for a few weeks.
ash
ps: this is the first brew - and part of the healing process - after the ag disaster!! :D
I prefer a bottle in front of me to a frontal lobotomy.
avp

Postby Hunty » 14 Jul 2008, 16:22

Given your comments on the taste of the beer, am considering dry hopping one TAD with Saaz and another with Hallertau and keeping one normal for comparison. Comments?

excellent idea Ash.... look forward to the results.

Mine's been down for a couple of weeks now, will no doubt be having a taste of it over the weekend.... ;)
Hunty

Postby Hunty » 01 Aug 2008, 21:23

hey Ash, how'd this one turn out ?

Hunty
Hunty

Postby avp » 02 Aug 2008, 08:30

Hi Hunty
After the inadvertant release of good beer due the faulty valves, both my TAD dispenser heads are with the man and are due back "soon". So the beer's still in three TAD bottles in the fridge and I am quenching my thirst with the commercial stuff. Will be adding hops tea to the bottles when I fix the dispensers on.
ash
avp

Postby avp » 06 Aug 2008, 08:20

Hunty

Got the TAD dispensers back Monday :D and after dry hopping the European Lager with Saaz hops, had the first taste of it last nite - very light, session beer, great for relaxing with after mowing the lawn (or even after watching somebody else mow the lawn :lol: ).
Beer is crisp (Golden Syrup?), very clear, has a great head and lace(corn sugar?), and am very glad that I added the Saaz to it, as it does provide some dimension to this otherwise very simple beer. Been has been in the bottle for about 3 weeks now, will see if it gets any better. ABV is <5%.
Altogether, a pleasant beer, but as you said, might not appeal to hop-heads and beer connoisseurs.
ash
avp

Postby Hunty » 30 Oct 2008, 08:47

so whatever happened to all the beer stocks Ash ? you been so quiet, please tell me you are not raiding the beer section of NTUC instead ? :D
Hunty

Postby avp » 11 Nov 2008, 12:45

No,not the NTUC but the bottle shops in Victoria, NSW and Tasmania where I had to do with VBs, Cascades, Boags, and the occaisional Little Creatures. :mrgreen: Have been in Oz for the last month, returned only last night to find that all stocks have been depleted after there were two "No-Parents-at-home" parties. :(
Ash
avp

Postby Hunty » 12 Nov 2008, 10:37

Have been in Oz for the last month, returned only last night to find that all stocks have been depleted after there were two "No-Parents-at-home" parties

well things just got 30% cheaper down under didnt they LOL, so I bet you didnt want to come back too quickly ;)

so you have low stocks... whats brewing in the pipeline ?
Hunty

Return to Beer Kits, Extract & Partial Mash Brewing