Bottling cider

Fermenter, Bottles, Caps, Chiller, Tap-A-Draft, Fermenter Chiller etc.

Bottling cider

Postby djchris » 21 Jan 2009, 17:14

How do you guys bottle ciders?

I'm thinking of doing an apple cider and letting it age with natural carbonation.

Ideally, I would like to keep it in wine bottles and cork them for aging. However, I heard the pressure in the bottle may push the cork out and it is recommended to use champagne bottles and corks.
djchris

Re: Bottling cider

Postby keat » 21 Jan 2009, 21:22

djchris wrote:How do you guys bottle ciders?

I'm thinking of doing an apple cider and letting it age with natural carbonation.

Ideally, I would like to keep it in wine bottles and cork them for aging. However, I heard the pressure in the bottle may push the cork out and it is recommended to use champagne bottles and corks.

yes, for highly carbonated stuff, you need to use a champagne bottle and cork with the cage. The cage will keep the cork in, and the bottles are reinforced. - the bottom of the bottles are concave and the walls are thicker. But, how carbonated are your ciders going to be?
On Tap:Nil
Coming up: German Blonde
In fond memories: The Pursuit of Hoppyness (IBC 2007 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale (IBC 2008 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale III (Asia Beer Awards 2008 Gold)
keat

Postby craigev » 22 Jan 2009, 09:55

Why the need for such large bottles ? cant you just bottle cider like beer - ie in beer bottles ? aesthetics i guess ?

If you have really strong cider then your going to have a lot to drink in one sitting with a champers bottle. Whereas with two beer bottles you can decide to open the second if your really in the mood after the first. i always find with wine that i end up wanting half a bottle or one and a half ! but thats just me.
craigev

Postby djchris » 22 Jan 2009, 11:56

craigev wrote:Why the need for such large bottles ? cant you just bottle cider like beer - ie in beer bottles ? aesthetics i guess ?

If you have really strong cider then your going to have a lot to drink in one sitting with a champers bottle. Whereas with two beer bottles you can decide to open the second if your really in the mood after the first. i always find with wine that i end up wanting half a bottle or one and a half ! but thats just me.

It's really just aesthetics coz those would be drinks that I bring to parties and dinners, etc.

After thinking thoroughly, I think I'll stick with a variety of big and small beer and wine bottles for bottling.

I really prefer glass as I see myself storing them up to maybe over a year. Champagne bottles are out because I wouldn't be able to find that many bottles.

I'll store a mix of carbonated and non-carbonated ones to see the difference. Non-carbonated ones will also be used for cooking as well so gotta keep some in smaller bottles too. :)
djchris

Postby Trinitrophenol » 16 Sep 2010, 00:34

Hi all! my very first post :) seems abit late to reply .. but I bought my bottles from IKEA for $3 each , those with a seal on top .. here's the link if you are interested http://www.ikea.com.sg/en/catalog/detail.asp?art=80165855&q=&keyword=bottle&b=14 hope this helps!
Trinitrophenol

Return to Brewing Equipment