Mash Tun

Fermenter, Bottles, Caps, Chiller, Tap-A-Draft, Fermenter Chiller etc.

Mash Tun

Postby keat » 04 Dec 2005, 15:32

Hi all,
thought I'd share with everyone some pics of my new mash tun. Just finished water-tight test (you can see its still wet). Going to take it for a spin next weekend, will be my first AG. Wish me luck :)

filter made from stainless steel braid used commonly in water pipes

The "Tap"

keat

Mash Tun

Postby spud » 19 Dec 2005, 20:26

Hi keat
So how did the newest equipment handle the job, love to hear the ins & outs and any tips U have for us..
Pics are great by the way.
Cheers!
Brewing, well awaiting to be - Newcastle Nut, American Pale
Keg - Scottish 80/-, Eda's Milk Stout
Next in line - Choc /Hazelnut Porter, Dry Knickers Stout then, Classic American Pils, Kolsch.
spud

Postby keat » 20 Dec 2005, 12:08

it works really well, was able to keep the temp. Only problem I had was that I had to open the cover to measure the temp, and by doing so, the temp drops. Will need to get a probe thermometer to do the job. Will be visiting US in Jan (and including More Beer in Concord!), will pick that up when I'm there.

here're more pics from brew day:

The mash

1st running..to be poured back for filtering

finally draining the wort..using a fermenter because I didn't have anything else to measure the volume. Later I drain into a brew pot for boiling.
keat

Postby Roger » 20 Dec 2005, 16:26

Keat,

Great pix. My question is: how efficient is the chilling after the boil?
Roger

Postby keat » 20 Dec 2005, 18:56

I can only bring it down to 30C with the immersion wort chiller. Then I put it in a wine fridge and chill to 20C before pitching. I placed PET bottles of ice next to the fermenter as well. It took about 2 hours to cool to 20C.

I guess an improvement would be to add an intermediate coil and immerse it in ice water before the water gets to the main coil. Or, you can get a pump to supply ice chilled water.
keat

Re: Mash Tun

Postby rotiJo » 30 Aug 2009, 01:58

Hi, can kindly explain to me how the worts flows out of the pipe? and how to filter?
rotiJo

Return to Brewing Equipment