Installed Keg Fridge

Discussions about packaging and dispensing beer. Anything from kegging and draft equipment to questions about bottling.

Installed Keg Fridge

Postby keat » 25 Sep 2006, 01:20

Just installed my keg fridge today, can't wait for my beer to be ready and have my first pour :)

keat

awesome taps

Postby Hunty » 25 Sep 2006, 08:36

Awesome Taps Keat :wink:

Can u fit the CO2 cylinder in there as well or did u drill a hole for that line as well ?

Hunty
The Power of Positive Drinking
Hunty

Postby keat » 25 Sep 2006, 11:36

It can fit 4 kegs plus the CO2 tank. In fact, I'm thinking of getting a 10 or 20 pound tank to fit inside.. No drilling of the side for this baby :P
keat

Postby Roger » 25 Sep 2006, 16:18

Keat,

Beautiful setup. Looks like new. How many liters is it?
Where do you do your fermentation?
Roger

Postby keat » 25 Sep 2006, 16:53

Keat,

Beautiful setup. Looks like new. How many liters is it?
Where do you do your fermentation?

Thanks. If I remember correctly, its a little over 400L. It's actually used, but in very good condition. Got it off an auction in ebay.
I've a separate half-sized wine fridge to do my fermentations.
keat

Installed Keg Fridge

Postby spud » 25 Sep 2006, 19:47

Keat.. have nothing to say except.. GOOD ONE !!
E-bay thats where I picked my one but then directed to shop,, but as good a deal as ever..
My similar. We are all getting there. Can fit 3 kegs a & 20lb bomb in mine. Have to figure out the best way to serve Bosses stuff as well now as that's under Keg as well.. Wont be allowed another Fridge so may have to fit one below others.
Like U dont have any fluids to serve as yet, Porter disappeared before I turned around.. Nice drop,, going to put a stout down this week,, Have 2 lagers in CC at moment.. still have some DME to use so still plugging away at it ..
Spud
Brewing, well awaiting to be - Newcastle Nut, American Pale
Keg - Scottish 80/-, Eda's Milk Stout
Next in line - Choc /Hazelnut Porter, Dry Knickers Stout then, Classic American Pils, Kolsch.
spud

Spud ALIVE!

Postby Hunty » 25 Sep 2006, 20:01

I see u wetted a response from the resident, revered but recently very sparse Spudulator...

Hey Uncle Spud, where u been man ?

Hunty
The Power of Positive Drinking
Hunty

Spud ALIVE!

Postby spud » 25 Sep 2006, 20:11

Death Bed Hunty..
Spent most of week end trooping visitors around to all the beer drinking spots, each one drove another nail in my coffin,, dead each night at 7.. into bed with hot johnny the walking man bevo and up and at it again next day.. Didnt get a chance to buy any more AGB gear. Drunks have gone to wetter pastures, they sampled my 1 day into CC latest Brew & had to lock it away, not that it was excellent ,, just that it was there !!!

So Mate been dead and reborn this week end, last fingers of Flu still hanging on but better by 100%.. Had mobile snatched last night at Condo was found by cleaners this morning.. so back to normal just about.. Hope to Brew this week.. still have some keg space to fill so will be at it as best I can..
Spud
Keats fridge does look great doesnt it..
Spud
Next in line - Choc /Hazelnut Porter, Dry Knickers Stout then, Classic American Pils, Kolsch.
spud

Re: Installed Keg Fridge

Postby keat » 26 Sep 2006, 23:54

spud wrote:Keat.. have nothing to say except.. GOOD ONE !!
E-bay thats where I picked my one but then directed to shop,, but as good a deal as ever..
My similar. We are all getting there. Can fit 3 kegs a & 20lb bomb in mine. Have to figure out the best way to serve Bosses stuff as well now as that's under Keg as well.. Wont be allowed another Fridge so may have to fit one below others.
Like U dont have any fluids to serve as yet, Porter disappeared before I turned around.. Nice drop,, going to put a stout down this week,, Have 2 lagers in CC at moment.. still have some DME to use so still plugging away at it ..
Spud

Thanks Spud. Was quite nerve-wrecking to do the first drill, didn't know what to expect. Part of me was saying I'm crazy to be drilling a hole in a perfectly fine fridge. But as you can see, the final product was well-worth it :)

I'm wondering if anyone has drilled a hole in the door, instead of the side of the fridge, for the CO2 tank to be outside? It should probably be near the hinges to reduce the amount of flexing on the hose. I just tried to put everything together and realized that a 4th keg would not fit if I want to put in a 20lb tank. A 4th keg would be nice to cold-condition while you're waiting for one of the taps to run dry :twisted:
keat

Postby spud » 27 Sep 2006, 11:59

:lol:
Well I know what its like to drill a couple of holes for the air in lines... we did it on the side towards the back.. If U really need to have space for 4 kegs go ahead,,,,, but word of advise most if not all fridges have a hot gas return line that runs along either or , or both side of the fridge, this is the return gas from the condensor that has done its duty as heat xfer. It provides a service as well as a simple return line .. Some makes have many of these and the act to stop condesation forming on the outside of the Unit.. The Singapore fridges that I have seen all seem to be working their guts out because of the heated sides,, not true thats just those return line,,
Advice from me is simple. If U are determined to drill through the sides go ahead but first work out where U are going to put everything,, dont forghet U get more brownie points for having a clean looking beer Fridge from Domestic control, so inside is better.. But once U have figured where you are going to instal. mark the inside only and carefully cut the plastic inner skin in a sqare bigger than the intended hole and carefully remove the insulation and when U are satisfied where U intent to have the hole is clear ( these return lines are 1/4 - 3/16 in dia so are small) Drill a pilot hole from the inside the open out to hose size, add a gommot if U can to stop the edges cutting hose. Drill hole in some plastic ( I used a flat portion of the redundant shelves) bang some insolation in the gap and RTV the attachment wall in place,, perfect holes even around tubes but U would have found them by the eyes not by the DRILL..
Good luck
Spud
spud

Postby keat » 28 Sep 2006, 17:20

spud wrote::lol:
Well I know what its like to drill a couple of holes for the air in lines... we did it on the side towards the back.. If U really need to have space for 4 kegs go ahead,,,,, but word of advise most if not all fridges have a hot gas return line that runs along either or , or both side of the fridge, this is the return gas from the condensor that has done its duty as heat xfer. It provides a service as well as a simple return line .. Some makes have many of these and the act to stop condesation forming on the outside of the Unit.. The Singapore fridges that I have seen all seem to be working their guts out because of the heated sides,, not true thats just those return line,,
Advice from me is simple. If U are determined to drill through the sides go ahead but first work out where U are going to put everything,, dont forghet U get more brownie points for having a clean looking beer Fridge from Domestic control, so inside is better.. But once U have figured where you are going to instal. mark the inside only and carefully cut the plastic inner skin in a sqare bigger than the intended hole and carefully remove the insulation and when U are satisfied where U intent to have the hole is clear ( these return lines are 1/4 - 3/16 in dia so are small) Drill a pilot hole from the inside the open out to hose size, add a gommot if U can to stop the edges cutting hose. Drill hole in some plastic ( I used a flat portion of the redundant shelves) bang some insolation in the gap and RTV the attachment wall in place,, perfect holes even around tubes but U would have found them by the eyes not by the DRILL..
Good luck
Spud

Spud, where did you get the hole-saw and the grommet to fit the hose? Do you mind loaning me the hole-saw if you still have it? :wink:

What happens if you find a gas line in the path? What do you patch it up with?
keat

Postby spud » 28 Sep 2006, 18:31

:oops:
Found the tube and nicked the sucker,,, deathly silence was heard by two not quite sober wankers,, ssssSSSSSS the it stopped .. No more SS meant no more Gas.. :cry: Old style fridge ment gas was going to be $550 and the repair was about $200.. No thanks gents out with that one in with the new .. bigger so no whole in the side,,, but if I had to I'd do it again the way I discribed above, below or where ever it is..
Drill size I have for the Tap shanks is too big so i just pilot then bigger and bigger till I reached the inner size of the Grommet and that was it..
Have a sellection of drills that u are welcome to but Grommets ,, well i had one that I was going to fit to Old Fridge but he's gone as well as most of the evidence before Boss came home last time. :wink:
cheers Spud
spud

Postby keat » 28 Sep 2006, 19:19

:shock: *gulp* maybe I should stick with tank in fridge. If you guys took the extra care to look out for the gas lines and still nicked it, don't think I'm going to try it. At most a hole on the door...
keat

Postby spud » 28 Sep 2006, 19:37

No keat the first one wasnt done that way at all,, drilled small hole all the way then opened it out progressively,, last drill knicked the gas line,, OH no Mate the "how to do it right" was after the bouched attempt LOL
:cry: spud :cry:
spud

Just got in a 2nd Keg Fridge

Postby Roger » 25 Apr 2007, 21:24

Just got in this big sucker. 434L for $150. Should be able to fit 4 kegs and a 20lbs Co2 tank.
Roger

Next

Return to Kegging, Bottling & Dispensing