TAD to cornelius

Discussions about packaging and dispensing beer. Anything from kegging and draft equipment to questions about bottling.

TAD to cornelius

Postby sfowler » 30 Mar 2008, 00:56

Guys,

I need to graduate from TAD to cornelius keg. Forgive me if these are basic questions:

1. Where to get a cornelius keg and CO2 system in Spore?
2. At what stage to you rack to cornelius keg, and do you add priming sugar for natual carbonation or is this not done in cornelius keg?
3. How do you regulate the Co2 pressure without overcarbonation / excessive foam?
4. Where do you get the CO2 gas topped-up?

Thanks
sfowler

Re: TAD to cornelius

Postby keat » 30 Mar 2008, 11:21

sfowler wrote:2. At what stage to you rack to cornelius keg, and do you add priming sugar for natual carbonation or is this not done in cornelius keg?

If you ask 10 homebrewers, you'll get 12 different answers ;)
For me, I rack to keg after primary fermentation is done and after I've crashed chill it for a few days. Then I condition it in the keg at about 3deg C, and force cabonate at the same time. Natural carbonation will cause extra sediments in the keg and takes a longer time (which will hold up your fermentation chamber), so it is generally not done. Most keggers will force carbonate. How to force carbonate? You'll probably get 12 different answers as well...

3. How do you regulate the Co2 pressure without overcarbonation / excessive foam?

Here's a good source of info. Here's another one.
On Tap:Nil
Coming up: German Blonde
In fond memories: The Pursuit of Hoppyness (IBC 2007 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale (IBC 2008 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale III (Asia Beer Awards 2008 Gold)
keat

Postby sfowler » 30 Mar 2008, 13:21

thanks keat for the response - great links too!
sfowler

Postby Fin » 05 Aug 2008, 15:15

Sorry for digging up an old post!
I'm in the progress of upgrading from TAD to corny too.
Just had some loose KEG equipment n a 200L chest freezer from a nice guy.

Thanks for the very detail links to kegging.
Is it a must to have the single guage to check carbonation?
How do you guys solve the CO2 issue after empty ? 1-to-1 exchange( 1 shinning aluminium one for a battle-tested full bottle?) or do you bring ur empty cylinder wait at refill shop for it to be refilled? Is steel cylinder good enuf( intend to place it in the fridge) or do i need a alu cylinder?
Any place to source for cheap used kegs? It's quite possible to "borrow" an empty keg outside restaurants or pubs in some countries I read :mrgreen:

Pls kindly advise.
thks
Selling off my precious collection:-- Complete keg system + Keg fridge/ lager fridge- CO2 tank- Complete fermenter systems .- 3 well built fermenter chiller .Asst of glasses, wares.. Pls email: [email protected] ( remove all 5s) sms 9One767708
Fin

Postby keat » 05 Aug 2008, 18:11

Fin wrote:Thanks for the very detail links to kegging.

nope. You do need the regulator with the 2 gauges though.

Fin wrote:How do you guys solve the CO2 issue after empty ? 1-to-1 exchange( 1 shinning aluminium one for a battle-tested full bottle?) or do you bring ur empty cylinder wait at refill shop for it to be refilled? Is steel cylinder good enuf( intend to place it in the fridge) or do i need a alu cylinder?

send empty cyclinder to Mr Ibrew, pickup when refilled. You need a cyclinder rated for high PSI.

Fin wrote:Any place to source for cheap used kegs? It's quite possible to "borrow" an empty keg outside restaurants or pubs in some countries I read :mrgreen:

check with Mr Ibrew, I believe he supplies used kegs. I believe the other homebrew guy does too.
In fond memories: The Pursuit of Hoppyness (IBC 2007 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale (IBC 2008 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale III (Asia Beer Awards 2008 Gold)
keat

Postby Fin » 06 Aug 2008, 01:10

Fin wrote:Thanks for the very detail links to kegging.

nope. You do need the regulator with the 2 gauges though.[/quote]
what i mean is this gadget , below. Do i need to use it to check for carbonation level?

keat wrote:send empty cyclinder to Mr Ibrew, pickup when refilled. You need a cyclinder rated for high PSI.

that means there will be some downtime of a few days? Aluminium thank might have problem withstanding too high a pressure i think.

Fin wrote:Any place to source for cheap used kegs? It's quite possible to "borrow" an empty keg outside restaurants or pubs in some countries I read :mrgreen:

keat wrote:check with Mr Ibrew, I believe he supplies used kegs. I believe the other homebrew guy does too.

Well, I think the price for used keg is pretty high, now that metal, food, fuel , transport is at an all time high.
thks for advise!
Selling off my precious collection:-- Complete keg system + Keg fridge/ lager fridge- CO2 tank- Complete fermenter systems .- 3 well built fermenter chiller .Asst of glasses, wares.. Pls email: [email protected] ( remove all 5s) sms 9One767708
Fin

Postby keat » 06 Aug 2008, 09:39

Fin wrote:what i mean is this gadget , below. Do i need to use it to check for carbonation level?

not neccessary. Just use your mouth to gauge :mrgreen: Good excuse to drink beer.

send empty cyclinder to Mr Ibrew, pickup when refilled. You need a cyclinder rated for high PSI.

that means there will be some downtime of a few days? Aluminium thank might have problem withstanding too high a pressure i think.

yes, you may want to get a backup tank if you cannot go without beer for a few days :lol:

keat wrote:check with Mr Ibrew, I believe he supplies used kegs. I believe the other homebrew guy does too.

Well, I think the price for used keg is pretty high, now that metal, food, fuel , transport is at an all time high.
thks for advise!

it's all a matter of economics - supply and and demand, and the middlemen.
keat

Postby Fin » 06 Aug 2008, 23:11

thks for ur advise , keat!
The reason I've decided to upgrade to kegging is due to storage space problem mainly.
while TAD is useful, in a long run, it'll be quite costly considering the amount of CO2 cart. used and wasted.
Thru to bring some of ur homebrew for parties, TAD would ideal I feel.

I definitely have lots to learn from you, esp in how to brew a decent Ale. 8)
Fin

Postby keat » 07 Aug 2008, 11:10

btw, I got 1 tip for kegging: turn off your CO2 when you don't need it. It will reduce your chance of losing the whole bottle due to small leaks, or leaky kegs. I only leave it on when I have a party, otherwise, I'll just give it a blast then turn it off. Should last a few pints before you need to blast it again.
keat

Postby Fin » 07 Aug 2008, 13:05

8)
great idea!

It guess it's a useful method if you have many kegs but without so many gas lines.
Fin

Return to Kegging, Bottling & Dispensing