Need carbonation drops when using Kegs?

Discussions about packaging and dispensing beer. Anything from kegging and draft equipment to questions about bottling.

Need carbonation drops when using Kegs?

Postby fleek » 17 Sep 2008, 14:52

Hi all,

I am quite new to this brewing stuff. I have been bottling my brews but have decided to use Kegs instead. One question is that do I still need to use carbonation drops?
fleek

Re: Need carbonation drops when using Kegs?

Postby Hunty » 17 Sep 2008, 15:17

you can, but why would you want to ?

Use the CO2 to force carbonate the beer instead. Much quicker and no additional sediment!

Hunty
The Power of Positive Drinking
Hunty

Postby Roger » 17 Sep 2008, 15:26

fleek wrote:Hi all,

I am quite new to this brewing stuff. I have been bottling my brews but have decided to use Kegs instead. One question is that do I still need to use carbonation drops?

One of the benefits with using a keg setup is that we can force carbonate. It's possible to have drinkable beer in 5days. Ferment 4days, transfer to keg, chill keg, force carbonate next day and it's ready.
Roger

Postby fleek » 17 Sep 2008, 16:03

I bought the 5L kegging kit from homebrew. It uses CO2 capsules, will that be enough to force carbonate?
fleek

Postby Hunty » 17 Sep 2008, 16:21

this is the Tap a Draft system ?

yes you can force carbonate, but you need an extra two co2 capsules to do it.... still worth it if you ask me, do a search, its been discussed a few time before

Hunty
Hunty

Postby Roger » 17 Sep 2008, 17:01

Yes. If you are in need of a quick batch. Use extra 2 capsules to force carbonate the first TAD bottle and let the others natural carbonate. Just make sure the TAD valve does not leak.
Roger

Postby Hunty » 17 Sep 2008, 19:26

I have said it before and will say it again, if you force carbonate you don't throw a sediment. Makes for a clearer beer , making it more amenable to transport as well as easier cleaning... but, it will cost you the price of a couple of co2 cylinders.... in my mind its a no brainer. ;)

Hunty
Hunty

Postby fleek » 17 Sep 2008, 23:29

I am not using a TAD bottle, I bought the keg from homebrew.com.sg

BTW, any singaporeans here have contacts to get bottled water?
fleek

Postby Hunty » 18 Sep 2008, 08:30

Ah thanks for the heads up fleek.

Interesting, not seen this before. Its detailed athe site you pointed us to.

http://www.homebrew.com.sg/5L.htm

Looks great, except it looks like you would need alot of vertical fridge space to store it, which is the advantage of the TAD.

Back to original question, I am not certain if that lever mechanism will allow forced carbonation, because the you still need to be charging CO2 to the keg when the dispensing level control is in the "off state" . If the CO2 is only charged when the dispensing valve is open, I suspect it will not be possible, and you will have to revert to dextrose or carbonation drops... :?:

assuming you can charge CO2 in the closed valve state, you will probably need two mini cylinders of CO2 and you will need to store in the fridge while it is carbonating... the occasional shake will speed up the process considerably.
Hunty

Postby fleek » 19 Sep 2008, 04:46

I am just wondering, is it possible that forced carbonation is done whilst dispensing? Carbonation is process of adding CO2 to the beer right? It doesn't really affect the beer taste except to give the beer some head.

So in this case, instead of carbonating the entire keg, it only force carbonate those that is dispensed?
fleek

Postby Hunty » 19 Sep 2008, 07:05

So in this case, instead of carbonating the entire keg, it only force carbonate those that is dispensed?

Interesting concept, but extremely unlikely. Thats because you need the beer to be under pressure and usually at cold temperatures to get the CO2 to dissolve into the beer.... the length of time it takes to carbonate depends on pressure of the CO2 cap, temperature of the liquid and the amount of contact surface area... ;)
Hunty

Postby avp » 21 Sep 2008, 20:27

Seen this on youtube. NO residue and almost instant carbonation.
Anybody wanna try this one on beer and report back on the forum? :twisted:
ashley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-MBJlBHRkE
I prefer a bottle in front of me to a frontal lobotomy.
avp

Postby Hunty » 21 Sep 2008, 21:28

Wow, carbonation using dry ice... technically feasible and see no reason why it wouldnt work in a cornelius keg with safety... so then , how much dry ice would you need and where could you buy it! .. not something that you can store in your freezer either ;)
Hunty

Postby fleek » 23 Sep 2008, 00:55

You can buy Dry Ice from Haggen daz
fleek

Postby avp » 23 Sep 2008, 17:22

Did some quick calculations from an old chemistry book :? - and found out that 10 gms of dry ice will give you a little more than 5 litres of CO2 at standard temperature and pressure. (Enough to explode a TAD bottle filled with beer?) :D
You can get dry ice pellets at a shop in Depot Road, but doubt if they will sell you 10 grams.
And don't ever keep dry ice in the freezer - it's colder than the refrigerant, freezes up all the pipes, blows the compressor and you get yourself a new fridge!
I prefer a bottle in front of me to a frontal lobotomy.
avp

Return to Kegging, Bottling & Dispensing