corny as secondary

Discussions about packaging and dispensing beer. Anything from kegging and draft equipment to questions about bottling.

corny as secondary

Postby sfowler » 02 Mar 2009, 22:08

Hi guys

Just switched over to a corny keg system and was very pleased with the first batch using it.

I'm now thinking about skipping the secondary fermentation (carboy) to free up my blue cooling box by racking direct from primary bucket to corny keg

Any tips?

1. Does this create excessive sediment in the keg?
2. Does it condition properly under pressure (no airlock)
3. Can this be done at room temp?
sfowler

Re: corny as secondary

Postby Hunty » 04 Mar 2009, 14:00

1. Does this create excessive sediment in the keg?
2. Does it condition properly under pressure (no airlock)
3. Can this be done at room temp?

1. certainly no more than naturally carbonating might, but you do get some sediment. You can minimise by crash chilling in the prmary before racking.

2.Sure does.

3. If you mean racking ? of course...

Hunty
The Power of Positive Drinking
Hunty

Postby sfowler » 05 Mar 2009, 08:30

Thanks Hunty

For point 3, I wasn't very clear. Meant to ask if the filled corny can be stored at room temp (Singapore) during the secondary stage (e.g. one week after the main fermentation has completed)?
sfowler

Postby craigev » 06 Mar 2009, 17:35

2. Some people say yeast dont like pressure so you would get different conditioning results in a closed keg. Also, if youv still got some activity when you rack then you will have more trub in the keg compared to finishing off completely in carboy before going into keg.
craigev

Postby Hunty » 06 Mar 2009, 21:53

Also, if youv still got some activity when you rack then you will have more trub in the keg compared to finishing off completely in carboy before going into keg.

Not an issue if you don't disturb the keg after you rack (i go straight to kegerator and thats where it stays till its finished) and you avoid oxidation risk, infection and beer loss which is always an issue or risk if you secondary in a carboy.
The Power of Positive Drinking
Hunty

Return to Kegging, Bottling & Dispensing