Smoked Ale

Share your beer recipes here. Or talk about your favourite beer styles.

Re: Smoked Ale

Postby spud » 09 Dec 2008, 21:07

Eat one as comparison, told they should be weathered for a while to allow the smoke harshness mellow out..
cheers spud
Brewing, well awaiting to be - Newcastle Nut, American Pale
Keg - Scottish 80/-, Eda's Milk Stout
Next in line - Choc /Hazelnut Porter, Dry Knickers Stout then, Classic American Pils, Kolsch.
spud

Postby keat » 09 Dec 2008, 22:18

Something I learn from a brewcast episode - To test the "smokiness" of the grains with regards to a recipe - pick out 100 grains representing the % of the grain bills. For example, 10 smoked grains and 90 Pale malt grains for 10% and 90% split. Mix them up and chew on them. Should give an indication of the smoke flavor. I guess you can scale it down to 10 grains as well.
On Tap:Nil
Coming up: German Blonde
In fond memories: The Pursuit of Hoppyness (IBC 2007 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale (IBC 2008 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale III (Asia Beer Awards 2008 Gold)
keat

Postby Hunty » 10 Dec 2008, 11:12

spud wrote:Eat one as comparison, told they should be weathered for a while to allow the smoke harshness mellow out..
cheers spud

i did eat one or two and was not overwhelmed by smoke but then I did not eat an unsmoked one for comparison. live an learn.

weathering... cooled them down and ziplocked them for storage in the freezer for a week....send me over those jamil recipes please spud.
The Power of Positive Drinking
Hunty

Postby spud » 11 Dec 2008, 00:09

Hi Buddy.
Real late by the time I arrived here 2night.
Will scan and flick them to email 2morrow once head off pillow.
cheers spud.
Brewing, well awaiting to be - Newcastle Nut, American Pale
Keg - Scottish 80/-, Eda's Milk Stout
Next in line - Choc /Hazelnut Porter, Dry Knickers Stout then, Classic American Pils, Kolsch.
spud

Postby keat » 23 Dec 2008, 21:24

BYO has posted the article online, in case anyone is interested - http://www.byo.com/component/resource/a ... moked-beer
you should subscribe to BYO if you haven't, good mag...
On Tap:Nil
Coming up: German Blonde
In fond memories: The Pursuit of Hoppyness (IBC 2007 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale (IBC 2008 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale III (Asia Beer Awards 2008 Gold)
keat

Previous

Return to Beer Recipes & Styles