Antwerp Afternoon

Don't need a question to start a thread here. The weather is hot, it would be nice to know when the next brew is coming.

Re: Antwerp Afternoon

Postby keat » 04 Mar 2008, 17:09

Hunty wrote:Join the club mate. I just changed mine... still a leak. You can fix it with keg lube (Hayman prefers KY.. :D ) but it makes a terrible mess, collects dirt and seriously hard to clean later... if I were you I wouldnt worry, so long as there is a positive pressure and the gases leak out and not in, no big deal.

Just means more Sg sampling (and taste sampling too... ;) ).

Btw did u notice a strong fermentation smell when u opened your fermentation fridge... its another sure way to tell things are happening.


Was surprised that it happened, since it was the 1st time for me. I could smell the banana esters, and that was what alerted me to the fermentation.

I'm pretty comfortable with the whole process now, didn't panic when there was no airlock activity. Just figured I'll pitch some other yeast if it doesn't take off. :D

Also, after this batch, I figured I needed a new pump for circulating the iced water. The old one really couldn't make it, wasn't self-priming and the flow rate was horrible. So I splurged $45 and bought a submersible aquarium pump, flow rate : 3200L/hour!
On Tap:Nil
Coming up: German Blonde
In fond memories: The Pursuit of Hoppyness (IBC 2007 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale (IBC 2008 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale III (Asia Beer Awards 2008 Gold)
User avatar
keat
 
Posts: 1081
Joined: 26 Apr 2005, 08:34

Re: Antwerp Afternoon

Postby southernoise » 04 Mar 2008, 21:41

keat wrote: So I splurged $45 and bought a submersible aquarium pump, flow rate : 3200L/hour!


Wah.... mine only goes 700L/hr and I thought it was enough but the flow is pretty slow lah. :(
On Tap:
Coming up: Uruk-hai IPA
Fond Memories:
American Pale Ale, tweaked from Jamil's Brewing Classic Styles page 134
Dirty Water Brown, tweaked from Jamil's Brewing Classic Styles page 141
User avatar
southernoise
 
Posts: 446
Joined: 23 Mar 2006, 15:08

Re: Antwerp Afternoon

Postby keat » 04 Mar 2008, 23:17

southernoise wrote:
keat wrote: So I splurged $45 and bought a submersible aquarium pump, flow rate : 3200L/hour!


Wah.... mine only goes 700L/hr and I thought it was enough but the flow is pretty slow lah. :(



heh heh heh mine is bigger than yours :twisted:
On Tap:Nil
Coming up: German Blonde
In fond memories: The Pursuit of Hoppyness (IBC 2007 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale (IBC 2008 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale III (Asia Beer Awards 2008 Gold)
User avatar
keat
 
Posts: 1081
Joined: 26 Apr 2005, 08:34

Re: Antwerp Afternoon

Postby keat » 05 Mar 2008, 19:44

Gravity is down to 1.018, wort color has lightened somewhat, must be due to the yeast. Taste although still young, is starting to develop a bit of that Belgian spice and candy, very nice :mrgreen:
On Tap:Nil
Coming up: German Blonde
In fond memories: The Pursuit of Hoppyness (IBC 2007 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale (IBC 2008 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale III (Asia Beer Awards 2008 Gold)
User avatar
keat
 
Posts: 1081
Joined: 26 Apr 2005, 08:34

Re: Antwerp Afternoon

Postby Hunty » 05 Mar 2008, 19:54

Gravity is down to 1.018... holy hell thats quick!! sounds like u will be racking this one on or before the weekend... meaning one more brew this Saturday ? :lol:
The Power of Positive Drinking
Image
Hunty
 
Posts: 2170
Joined: 25 Apr 2005, 19:51

Re: Antwerp Afternoon

Postby keat » 05 Mar 2008, 21:46

Hunty wrote:Gravity is down to 1.018... holy hell thats quick!! sounds like u will be racking this one on or before the weekend... meaning one more brew this Saturday ? :lol:


nah..I'll usually crash chill it for a week before racking. Give the yeast some time to settle. Looks like I might be brewing one during the coming long weekend.
On Tap:Nil
Coming up: German Blonde
In fond memories: The Pursuit of Hoppyness (IBC 2007 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale (IBC 2008 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale III (Asia Beer Awards 2008 Gold)
User avatar
keat
 
Posts: 1081
Joined: 26 Apr 2005, 08:34

Re: Antwerp Afternoon

Postby southernoise » 06 Mar 2008, 08:40

keat wrote:
southernoise wrote:
keat wrote: So I splurged $45 and bought a submersible aquarium pump, flow rate : 3200L/hour!


Wah.... mine only goes 700L/hr and I thought it was enough but the flow is pretty slow lah. :(



heh heh heh mine is bigger than yours :twisted:


show off!!!! :lol:
On Tap:
Coming up: Uruk-hai IPA
Fond Memories:
American Pale Ale, tweaked from Jamil's Brewing Classic Styles page 134
Dirty Water Brown, tweaked from Jamil's Brewing Classic Styles page 141
User avatar
southernoise
 
Posts: 446
Joined: 23 Mar 2006, 15:08

Re: Antwerp Afternoon

Postby keat » 16 Mar 2008, 17:53

kegged this today. A bit disappointed with the result.. beer had turned a dark brown color, and has tons of off-flavors. Huge spiciness, plus a bit of autolysis; meaty flavor like vegemite. Going to carb it and see how it goes, but looks like this one is destined for the drain. 3rd time unlucky with a belgian...what is it with these belgian yeast? :(
On Tap:Nil
Coming up: German Blonde
In fond memories: The Pursuit of Hoppyness (IBC 2007 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale (IBC 2008 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale III (Asia Beer Awards 2008 Gold)
User avatar
keat
 
Posts: 1081
Joined: 26 Apr 2005, 08:34

Re: Antwerp Afternoon

Postby Hunty » 17 Mar 2008, 09:28

Going to carb it and see how it goes, but looks like this one is destined for the drain.


err... don't do that yet Keat... please. I'd be more than happy to try it. Personally, I think I learn far more by tasting a bad beer than i do from tasting a good one :P . besides, I also have one that went screwy, beer has very clean initial taste and vey clean finish, just a wierd kind of middle flavor. Like overpowering something in there I find it hard to explain. Anyway, we shall see if a month of lagering mellows it a bit, otherwise mine is joining yours in the drains of Singapore... :oops:
The Power of Positive Drinking
Image
Hunty
 
Posts: 2170
Joined: 25 Apr 2005, 19:51

Re: Antwerp Afternoon

Postby keat » 17 Mar 2008, 10:08

Hunty wrote:
err... don't do that yet Keat... please. I'd be more than happy to try it. Personally, I think I learn far more by tasting a bad beer than i do from tasting a good one :P . besides, I also have one that went screwy, beer has very clean initial taste and vey clean finish, just a wierd kind of middle flavor. Like overpowering something in there I find it hard to explain. Anyway, we shall see if a month of lagering mellows it a bit, otherwise mine is joining yours in the drains of Singapore... :oops:


Don't worry, will save some for you to taste. The frustrating thing about this yeast was that it tasted fine during sampling, right before I crash chill it to 3C for a week. It's strange that the yeast is still working at that temp.
On Tap:Nil
Coming up: German Blonde
In fond memories: The Pursuit of Hoppyness (IBC 2007 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale (IBC 2008 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale III (Asia Beer Awards 2008 Gold)
User avatar
keat
 
Posts: 1081
Joined: 26 Apr 2005, 08:34

Re: Antwerp Afternoon

Postby Hunty » 20 Mar 2008, 10:19

done any sampling yet Keat ?
The Power of Positive Drinking
Image
Hunty
 
Posts: 2170
Joined: 25 Apr 2005, 19:51

Re: Antwerp Afternoon

Postby keat » 20 Mar 2008, 10:37

Hunty wrote:done any sampling yet Keat ?


not yet, will sample tonight
On Tap:Nil
Coming up: German Blonde
In fond memories: The Pursuit of Hoppyness (IBC 2007 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale (IBC 2008 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale III (Asia Beer Awards 2008 Gold)
User avatar
keat
 
Posts: 1081
Joined: 26 Apr 2005, 08:34

Previous

Return to Who's got what in their fermenter?



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests