Smoked Ale

Share your beer recipes here. Or talk about your favourite beer styles.

Re: Smoked Ale

Postby Hairy » 05 Dec 2008, 17:38

It's ok. we can always try tropical fruit trees like mango wood or durian wood. So, which wood are u looking at for ur smoked grains Hunty?
Hairy

Postby Hunty » 05 Dec 2008, 17:52

wel I do have some Hickory chips.... was going to give that a try first.... suggestions welcome.
The Power of Positive Drinking
Hunty

Postby Hunty » 08 Dec 2008, 12:30

ok chaps... here was the first attempt to smoke up 500 g of grains.

First, we fire up the smoker coals, and had some woodchips soaking in water. These are "mesquite" chips, which is what I actuallly had on hand, not Hickory, oh well.

I thought for good smoke saturation, I'd use a kitchen strainer, found one conveniently without the extended single handle. If you look carefully you can see water pan directly underneath the grain basket.

then the woodchips go onto the coals ....

Then I seal it up, insert themometer so I can see whats going on, smoke for an hour as low a temp I can manage.

Then, I add a couple of chickens for dinner ;) (after removing the grain of course...;) )

Hunty
Hunty

Postby keat » 08 Dec 2008, 15:23

Hunty wrote:ok chaps... here was the first attempt to smoke up 500 g of grains.

First, we fire up the smoker coals, and had some woodchips soaking in water. These are "mesquite" chips, which is what I actuallly had on hand, not Hickory, oh well.

I prefer mesquite, hickory is used in almost anything smoked, you get sick of it after a while. So what beer will you brew with the smoked chips? Smoked porter?
On Tap:Nil
Coming up: German Blonde
In fond memories: The Pursuit of Hoppyness (IBC 2007 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale (IBC 2008 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale III (Asia Beer Awards 2008 Gold)
keat

Postby spud » 08 Dec 2008, 17:22

Smoked chicken ale,,, sorry Hunty..
spud
Brewing, well awaiting to be - Newcastle Nut, American Pale
Keg - Scottish 80/-, Eda's Milk Stout
Next in line - Choc /Hazelnut Porter, Dry Knickers Stout then, Classic American Pils, Kolsch.
spud

Postby Hunty » 08 Dec 2008, 17:35

spud wrote:Smoked chicken ale,,, sorry Hunty..
spud

LOL, which is why I took the grains out before putting the chooks in :)

Style... quite like the idea of a porter or dark ale... I have some black patent on hand.... will work up some ideas, the brew will go down next Saturday.

Hunty
Hunty

Postby spud » 08 Dec 2008, 18:20

Hunty U tried the Smoked Alaska Porter, i havent.
Was looking at doing a smoked beer of some type with Raymonds Rauch malt. Anyone tried it.
Cheers Spud
Next in line - Choc /Hazelnut Porter, Dry Knickers Stout then, Classic American Pils, Kolsch.
spud

Postby spud » 08 Dec 2008, 18:21

Pics Hunty......pls
Spud
spud

Postby Hunty » 08 Dec 2008, 18:26

spud wrote:Pics Hunty......pls
Spud

Hey matey there's 4 or 5 of them above... u mean u want them by email ?

Hunty
Hunty

Postby Hunty » 08 Dec 2008, 18:28

Mr Keat,

The beer I really want to try and make is the Ventnor smoked Ale. Awesome brew, not too bitter on the palate, well balanced smokiness with hints of caramel at the end.

Was thinking I definitely do not want a dry beer here. What do you think, adjust the mash temp to 68 deg c i/o the usual 63 ?

Hunty
Hunty

Postby spud » 08 Dec 2008, 18:29

Hunty
Yep server wont let them thru.
At work at moment
cheers
spud

Postby keat » 09 Dec 2008, 00:47

Hunty wrote:Mr Keat,

The beer I really want to try and make is the Ventnor smoked Ale. Awesome brew, not too bitter on the palate, well balanced smokiness with hints of caramel at the end.

Was thinking I definitely do not want a dry beer here. What do you think, adjust the mash temp to 68 deg c i/o the usual 63 ?

Hunty

yes, you need a sweeter beer to balance the smokey flavor. Hops should take a backseat as well, you don't want it to be fighting with the smoke. I would say mash at 68C as well, and do away with the 2 rest temp before, go straight to 68C. Best is to look around the internet for a few recipes, and figure out the right OG for a smoked porter.
On Tap:Nil
Coming up: German Blonde
In fond memories: The Pursuit of Hoppyness (IBC 2007 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale (IBC 2008 Gold) -- Cheap Bastard Ale III (Asia Beer Awards 2008 Gold)
keat

Postby Hunty » 09 Dec 2008, 10:03

yes, you need a sweeter beer to balance the smokey flavor. Hops should take a backseat as well, you don't want it to be fighting with the smoke. I would say mash at 68C as well, and do away with the 2 rest temp before, go straight to 68C. Best is to look around the internet for a few recipes, and figure out the right OG for a smoked porter.

Not so sure I want to go all the way to a Porter style, but the 68 deg mash is a good start.... more like a dark ale I think.

Anyway I only smoked the grains for 1 hour... it may not be enough, but have to start somewhere. Plan to use Denny's yeast again for this as the fruity overtones I think will compliment the smokiness... this one will go down on Saturday.
Hunty

Postby spud » 09 Dec 2008, 10:45

U want a copy of Jamils smoked recipes..
#30 min into Okt boil at present. yes brewing :wink:
So can flick them over when I get to work..
Love that smoker,, U bugger U didnt show us what the smoked grains looked like ..
cheers spud
spud

Postby Hunty » 09 Dec 2008, 11:45

spud wrote:U want a copy of Jamils smoked recipes..
#30 min into Okt boil at present. yes brewing :wink:
So can flick them over when I get to work..
Love that smoker,, U bugger U didnt show us what the smoked grains looked like ..
cheers spud

hardly different uncle spud, just a tad darker really. I noticed that the s/s strainer was quite tainted... so the smoke had done the job, but the proof will be in the tasting, shall see. But I can still smell the smoke on my hands despite copious washing so reckon it must have got into those grains. Surprisingly though, they were not as pungent with as much of a smoke smell as I expected.

Hunty
Hunty

PreviousNext

Return to Beer Recipes & Styles